BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, um what did you guys do about driveshafts once you lifted your trucks? i have a 77 k5 Blazer (6" susp lift, approx 2" body lift) that needs some help... the castor is way out in the front, truck wonders alot. If i change the shim angle on the front axle i think it'll do the opposite i want. I can still put a drop tcase kit in it but how much should i go? somone said to just drop the rear of the tcase but how does that help the tranny/tcase shafts or the front driveshaft angle? the rear was lengthened with the proper yoke/joint put at the tcase. the front needs to be lengenthed and the angle definetly needs to be changed. I will be getting a steering stabilizer t help hold the tires in but i'm not sure what to do about the angles...

let me know what you guys did on your rigs k
and hey, if you know how to save money in doing any of this that would be great tooo!! I also still have the old rear driveshaft, not sure if that helps for the front lengthening or not.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
55 Posts
first of all, a lift shouldnt affect the caster camber of your front end unless its an ifs.yours shouldnt be. if the truck wanders youve maybe got tie rod, balljoint or bearing problems.I dont think a sim angle adjustment is a good idea in the front. i could be wrong cause ive never tryed it.id say that your best bet would prob be a cv joint front shaft.as far as the tcase drop goes id say the more the merrier.based on your lift you could probably use the biggest drop available and then some.just my 2 bits. talk to the guys at northshore off road. theyve probably done hundreds of these type lifts and have experience with your exact problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i had the same problem with my six inch lift so installed three degree shims in the front and the truck steers great. didn`t need to drop tranny/tranfercase. there is no vibration anywhere except for the swampers. its been under my truck for over a year with some heavy wheeling and had no problems.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the shims on the front axle but that still doesn't help the angle and in order to fix the caster problem i'd have to turn them around but then the yoke on the driveshaft and diff would bind. I got rid of the vibration when the toe was adjusted. I know part of the looseness in the steering is the sloppy steering box i have to adjust, but that isn't the caster prob.

I have done the entire front end and none of those parts are the problem, it's to do with the angle of the yoke out the back of the diff which can't line up with the front driveshaft if I change the shim angle that needs to be changed to correct the caster.

SILVERADO SHORTBOX: Got any pics of how yours is set up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts