BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 89' F250 with 160, 000 on a 7.3 international diesel and was seriously thinking of turboing it, is it worth doing with so many km's or should i and any recomendations... I am running 4.10 ratios with 33x10.5x16 would i need to think about swaping in new ratios if i gave the engin the extra boost... And another thing, i have a 5 speed trans, well what i am asking is there any things along the drive line that might need beefing up?

------------

89'F250 XLT 4x4 Lariet 7.3 diesel, 5 speed trans, Ext cab long box, 33x10.5x16
BFG M/T KO.......
(also home to Eco-Terrorism)

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is one instance where IMHO a turbo would be fine. If it was a 4cyl i would say no.
However i don't know enough about the ford diesel to say if it would be bad for it. Havn't heard too many good things about the powerstroke.

Just saw it was an international - i'm guessing it's not a powerstroke?!

------------------
468,500 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited November 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
if its bees an easy 160 k Turbo it, wont have as much power as apowerstroke but you will see a noticable increse in power.as fot drive train, your fine. either a Sterling 10.25 or 10.5 in the rear, ZF5 tranny and 1356 T case, plenty good, although I belive in 92 or 93 they swapped to a bigger T cases, but yours will be just fine

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift,3`` body, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 84 Regular Cab... not shure what Im doing with either. what ever I do will be k-k-krayzee

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by Mrdiesel:
This is one instance where IMHO a turbo would be fine. If it was a 4cyl i would say no.
However i don't know enough about the ford diesel to say if it would be bad for it. Havn't heard too many good things about the powerstroke.

Just saw it was an international - i'm guessing it's not a powerstroke?!

FWIW I believe international has made ford diesels for sometime (they make the powerstroke), also, i dont know what you may have heard about the power stroke, but my dad owns one, and it is an excellent engine, as is its predecessor.

·
Registered
616 Posts
A powerstroke is just a DT444 from a 5 ton International truck.

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, 4"Procomp lift, 315/75 AT KO's, Rhino Liner, Straight Piped!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some of those BD modifications are crazy - apparently some of the cummins are raced on the salt flats in California.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by Mrdiesel:
Some of those BD modifications are crazy - apparently some of the cummins are raced on the salt flats in California.

I went to their Dyno Day in September. the fastest tuck they had on the dyno was 575hp, and it still got 18mpg. Man that was a rush!!!

Thats my next truck, Dodge Cummins Diesel

Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Registered
127 Posts
My life insurance guy has a 97 ram diesel and hes getting close to 500hp to the ground. Hes got bigger injectors, changed the throttle control in his pump to allow more fuel in and 5" exhaust. He was talking about putting a turbo from a gmc topkick 5 ton on it but im not sure if hes done it yet. Took me for a ride and we were sideways in 4th gear down lougheed(it was a bit wet out) but was still very impressive. he said hes on his second clutch and his 2nd intercooler. He also says when he pulls out to pass in the rain he has to shift into 4 hi so he doesnt breakloose. hard to believe all that power comes out of a straight 6. Oh ya get this he pulls a fifth wheel too, and he loves racing all the other fifth wheels going up the coquihala.

------------------
90 F250 Dana 60 up front,welded rear,7.3 Diesel,3" exhaust,4" skyjacker suspension,3" body lift 38" swampers,cb and custom bumpers and nerf bars. You either make it or break it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You will love the extra power you will get with the turbo.But dont forget to do the exhaust also, there is no point putting in the extra air if you cant get it out.As for the miles on that diesel it is not even broke in jet. the diesels that they make for pick-up are averaging about 50% of the power that they can produce, which in turn is why you should be able to get 400 to 500 thousand K out of one. The guys around theses part put 4" exhuast on there units.

------------------
1983 BRONCO 3" BODY LIFT 33 12.50 351 WITH EDELBROCK PERFORMER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts