BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well do the 700r do for wheeling? i am thinking of puting one in my toyota behind my small block. will the with stand the abuse of about 325-350 horse 35s and a heavy right foot?is it going to be a headac, and should i just stick with my sm465. i know you will say the 465 is better but with the 700r i will get a over drive, not have to wory about hooking the clutch up, not have to modify my driveshafts. thanks for the help

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days!! after I painted it

·
Registered
183 Posts
its a 700r4 and there good trannys

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am getting one built rite now that is going to have at least 350 horse in front of it ,stick with 88 and newer thier a much stronger tranny , or get one built ,my buddy runs a 454 with 500 horse and has never had a problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie Smith:
how well do the 700r do for wheeling? i am thinking of puting one in my toyota behind my small block. will the with stand the abuse of about 325-350 horse 35s and a heavy right foot?is it going to be a headac, and should i just stick with my sm465. i know you will say the 465 is better but with the 700r i will get a over drive, not have to wory about hooking the clutch up, not have to modify my driveshafts. thanks for the help

i would put a 700r4 in anything there junk i talking from exp. put a 350 they bolt rigth up to the 700r4 adptor and transfer case ........ 77 jimmy with 383 stroker 400 trans 208 transfer 38s 14 bolt 4.56s locked and ready

·
Registered
55 Posts
if you're going to point out other peoples typo's you better run spellchecker yourself there mr perfecto. try this: "they are" good trannies.
Originally posted by jasonped:
its a 700r4 and there good trannys

------------------
if you cant lift it, slam it

·
Registered
79 Posts
"they are" good trannies.

No 'they are' not...

Unless you wanna blow a couple grand on a Raptor built 700. Any stock 700R-4 (4L60) is a big POS that will likely fail and cost 3 times more to fix than a TH350 or TH400. If you have to have overdrive go with the NV4500 or the 4L80. Or gear it a little taller and use the SM 465 or TH350 or TH400.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i agree with you 100% tRusty. 700r4's are crap. I just felt the urge to correct mr knowitalls correction.
Originally posted by tRustyK5:
"they are" good trannies.

No 'they are' not...

Unless you wanna blow a couple grand on a Raptor built 700. Any stock 700R-4 (4L60) is a big POS that will likely fail and cost 3 times more to fix than a TH350 or TH400. If you have to have overdrive go with the NV4500 or the 4L80. Or gear it a little taller and use the SM 465 or TH350 or TH400.

Rene

------------------
if you cant lift it, slam it

·
Registered
28 Posts
well abviously knowone shares the same opinion as i do ,but if you are still interested in geting one ill give you the # to my tranny guy . a 7oor4 stock i agree is a peice of sh%t but if built by the rite person will hold up, and were talkin about 700 bucks not a cupple grand

·
Registered
391 Posts
My stock TH700R4 blew up on me but that was after 330,000kms of abuse, they're not all that bad. I replaced it with a JET performance 700R4, it works great, shifts firm and they say it can handle up to 500lb/ft.

I must agree though, if your gonna put serious power through it go for a TH350 or even TH400, way stronger and they have a better selection of tcases that can bolt to them without pricey adapters.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i am just going to stick with my sm465 but thanks for all the helpful info

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days!! after I painted it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.