BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a 77 150, dana 44 front, 9" rear, 351W, NP205, 4 speed, short box is a good package. I'm looking at a rebuilt one and was wondering if it should have bigger axles for the 35's on the wheels.

Any experienced input would be helpful. The guy wants $10,000 obo but the rig looks decently rebuilt.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Andy, is the truck already built? Gears, lockers, lift, etc?

I do not know if you remember Jeff Franchuk's 79 F-150. Same deal only a 400ci and 456 gears and detroits and of course the long box. The front detroit broke axle shafts, but other than that it holds up well under a skilled driver. Should also be fine for mud'in. If you are into heavy throttle while rock crawling (which I know you are not), it will break things.

All this cause you broke a TTB ujoint yesterday?

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Rad:
351W
Are you sure? The 351M would be the original engine. If it has the Windsor its been swapped in. The Windsor is the better engine.

NP205, 4 speed, short box
Good trannies (NP435 or T18/19) and a good t-case (NP205). The shortbox is RARE!

bigger axles for the 35's
I would say 35's are about the limit for the D44.

The guy wants $10,000 obo but the rig looks decently rebuilt.
I hope you like it! You could find a bush-ready 1-ton for half that money, and it would be a newer truck with EFI.

------------------
Current shopping list:
YJ front springs (stock)
5.13 or 3.91 gears for Dana 44
4 & 6 cylinder diesel engines

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited August 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I believe these trucks 77-79 F150 are listed in the fourwheeler top ten vehicles of all time. But that is way too much money, I paid $1000 for my 78 Bronco with pretty much the same components and I dont have to worry about damaging it at all, I have to shake all the rust out anyways...lol. Actually there is hardly any rust for the year! I saw a 1979 F350 Flatdeck 4x4 for sale in the buy and sell for cheaper!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have since changed my mind as my truck is only worth about 5G and I would need a loan, something that turns my stomach. Wes, the real reason I am looking into this change is just more room and power. One day Shelley and I would like to stop sleeping on the ground and maybe haul a trailer or camper to a place like Woods Lake and go play from there. There is no way my piss ass gerbil powered Ranger will ever pull anything but a stuck Suzi not to mention a camper. The interior is also getting a little tight for comfort.

Incidently that Yoke and u-joint are the first things I have ever broken on that truck since it started going offroad in '94. Aside from a failed fuel pump once. It probably never would have happened had I kept up the maintenance on the front end a bit better. I'm just happy it didn't happen up Whipsaw a couple weeks ago.

Regardless, thanks for the input. I was pretty sure it was a nice offroad combo and that it would fill my needs for a slightly larger and very capable rig. I am also taking notes on certain things - common rusty box problem, NP-205 good tcase, 351 W better motor, Dana 44 a bit weak for 44's upgrade to 60 if financially feasable.

When the time is right I shall be looking again as this one I just stumbled across while on a drive one evening. I know they are rare.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts