BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 77 FJ45. It is eventually going to need some work done to the frame, near the left motor mount. Looking for any advice on what to do.

1. Should I start looking for a new frame? I'm assuming a FJ40 frame won't work.
2. What year of frames are compatible?
3. Can a new front portion be grafted to the old frame? Aside from this one area the rest of the frame is in good shape.
4. Can anyone recommend a good shop to have it checked out? Preferably in Victoria, the truck is on the island right now with my brother in law and I'm in Saskatchewan.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Whiskey254 (edited February 16, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is the frame rusty?
You will need a 45 frame, 40's are different.
The 40 frame is the same from the cab forward though so you may be able to patch it.
I've got an exellent 76 FJ40 frame for sale that you could use as a donor, and I live near Regina.
It could be very hard to find a decent 45 frame.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dp

I could email you a pic of the frame, it's rusty near the left motor mount. My brother in law says its ok for now but will have to be fixed in the future. He's checking on the options right now to see if it can be patched.

How much do you want for your frame? How feasible is patching the frame? I know it wouldn't pass inspection in SK as it is right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Some people have canibalized frames for patching, but the point of not passing safety will be a concern. But with a quality job it shouldn't be a problem.
I'm asking $100 for the frame.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by Whiskey254:
I recently bought a 77 FJ45. It is eventually going to need some work done to the frame, near the left motor mount. Looking for any advice on what to do.

1. Should I start looking for a new frame? I'm assuming a FJ40 frame won't work.
2. What year of frames are compatible?
3. Can a new front portion be grafted to the old frame? Aside from this one area the rest of the frame is in good shape.
4. Can anyone recommend a good shop to have it checked out? Preferably in Victoria, the truck is on the island right now with my brother in law and I'm in Saskatchewan.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Whiskey254 (edited February 16, 2002).]
I think you should just sell me the truck, cuz it will take alot to fix it up. lol I just really want one.

------------------
Trucks are built, not bought. When there bulit, beat em, break em and build em again BETTER!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
FJ45 frames are actually FJ40 frames made longer at the factory. Probably more work then most people are willing to get into. www.fourwheelauto.com
Last time I talked to this guy he had some good FJ45 frames if you can't get yours repaired.

------------------
That's Nothing

·
1,269 Posts
Whisky please read the bulletin board FAQ (top right) on how to post an image under your name. Thanks.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
1,269 Posts
No worries dude, if you need somewhere to host an image email it to me and I'll hook you up.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts