BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's, I'm a Jeep owner who recently bought a 81 F-150 4X4 that I plan to use to tow the Jeep.
The Truck had a camper on the back and has extra leaves for the weight. The truck is verry "stiff" with no weight in the back. If I take out these add-a-leaves will that affect the towing capacity of the truck? Also, how do I find out if the rear end has a posi in it? And one more thing, what were popular gear ratio's used? Thanx Greg

·
Registered
95 Posts
rearend gears are probably either, 3.55 or 3.73. But if it has a towing package and all the bells and whistles it might be a 4.10. to find out if you have posi, light em up....

------------------
GO FORD OR GO HOME!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, I'll do it tomorrow!

Its too cold to jack her up and count the drive shaft rotations.

I don't have a overdrive tranny, so I don't think it has a tow package. Greg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine has just a beefy c6, and I dont thinmk ford offered a over drive till 85, but hey i could be wrong.

------------------
GO FORD OR GO HOME!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If u check the diff tag it should say the gear ratio somehwere, and if it says has an L in the ratio it means it is a limited slip Ie: 3L55.

------------------
If it aint fix dont broke it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
also all you have to do is jack the rear of the truck...then rotate one one of the rear tires if they go in the same direction, then you have a posi, if they go in oppsite directions, then not!

also if its a camper special or trailer special it most likely will have lower gears and probably a posi unit (limited slip)..if there is no tag on the back try the front, the ratio will be up or down a tooth from the rear..good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts