BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to buy a 82 f150 4x4, with a 400 big block, warn 8274 winch, 31" tires and many off-road lights. Its from BC, I'm in Ontario, only one rust spot, 160 000km, and runs great. What tranny's and T/C's came with these{automatic). I'm a Jeep owner, but its a good deal, $1500, what do you guys think? Greg

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
C-6? and a NP208 tcase? Just a guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the info guy's!

I did some checking, and the warn winch is hard to come by here, a friend told me that a used one could go for $1100 at a 4x4 shop, I think I did good.I pick the truck up on monday due to Rememberance day. I can't wait to show it off to the other Club guy's! Hee Hee! Greg

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Originally posted by greglautenschlager:
Thanx for the info guy's!

I did some checking, and the warn winch is hard to come by here, a friend told me that a used one could go for $1100 at a 4x4 shop, I think I did good.I pick the truck up on monday due to Rememberance day. I can't wait to show it off to the other Club guy's! Hee Hee! Greg
I might be wrong but I think new 8274's are going for about 1200 to 1300 bucks in shops here....they are 1100 used in Ontario?

btw I'm not trying to rain on your parade because I think the trucks sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got quoted over $1600 here in Ontario for a new one, an x800i would go about $1200 here. I'm sure you guys in BC feel sorry for us here! lol.
I have the chance to buy a 82 f150 4x4, with a 400 big block, warn 8274 winch, 31" tires and many off-road lights. Its from BC, I'm in Ontario, only one rust spot, 160 000km, and runs great. What tranny's and T/C's came with these{automatic). I'm a Jeep owner, but its a good deal, $1500, what do you guys think? Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chevyboy912 has an 8274 for sale, $1000, so that makes me feel better!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Check the frame over carefully. The early 80's trucks came with the large holes through the frame to try and save some weight and were extreamly prone to cracking. another really week spot is were the radius arms bolt to the frame they crack inbehind teh mounting bracket. A winter project for me it to reinforce the frame behind the brackets.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Wasn't it just the 1980 Fords? Then they had problems and beefed them up in '81? I might be wrong cause my Ford info is very foggy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for the info, I wanted the truck for a winter baeter, but if its really good shape undernieth, I may keep it year round. It was from BC, so it hasn't seen any salt that I know of?
Originally posted by Zrock:
Check the frame over carefully. The early 80's trucks came with the large holes through the frame to try and save some weight and were extreamly prone to cracking. another really week spot is were the radius arms bolt to the frame they crack inbehind teh mounting bracket. A winter project for me it to reinforce the frame behind the brackets.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
They definitely use salt in BC....tons in the Vancouver area, my old toy was a victim of it,..up north it's used less cause it's too cold also remember the salt air on the coast is bad for trucks too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I cant remember witch years had the holes. I know 1980 did but not sure if it went farther than that. The body on my 89 was a subject to salt roads and salt water in the air so it had alot of serface rust and a few roten spots when i got it most is fixed now just trying to find a rear box corner for it now. Ford or aftermarket dosent seem to cary them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, I was looking at the frame last night, no cracks that I could find, minor rust, but no salt damage that I could see, unless it has been well hidden. It doesn't matter though cause they use salt here weather it snows or not! The guy I bought it from lived in BC and used the truck to take his dirt bike up to the trails, he didn't even 4wheel it much. The guy was just a kid, I don't think he knew the true value of the truck, or the warn 8274 winch!
Originally posted by Wil:
They definitely use salt in BC....tons in the Vancouver area, my old toy was a victim of it,..up north it's used less cause it's too cold also remember the salt air on the coast is bad for trucks too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts