BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying one tomorow. Any good/bad comments to make before the drop down the big $$$? If I'm not mistaken it was smaller/weaker axles than the newer Samis...anything else?

Engine runs good, rust is a little bad. It's only $1000 though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 82 was the first year of the SJ series, sporting a snarling 1000 cc powerhouse and 4spd. This model does not have disc brakes in the front, and ofcourse the axles are narrower than the 86 and up "Samurai". Is it a harp top or soft top?

For $1000, I hope its mint, or you get the guys g/f for a week.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The body was "decent" for it's age on the outside. Pretty rusty on the inside. It was a soft-top (although, the top was in bad need of replacing).

So I'm hearing it's a bad idea? It's gonna be my first 4x4 (or any vehicle for that matter), so I want it to be a good investment.

My budget is $3000 (including uprades) so I could hold out for a better condition one.

·
Registered
325 Posts
you can get a and late 80's samuri with under 100,000km for about $2000 i would sit back and wait a little longer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
quote:
you can get a and late 80's samuri with under 100,000km for about $2000 i would sit back and wait a little longer.

I would expect to find an 86-89 Sammi with reasonable KM for under $3000, but don't wait for an under 100KM for less than $2000 unless it has rust holes clean through it. Stay away from the sj, over time you will just want to upgrade to sammi parts anyway. The last sj I bought was an 84 (disc brakes) with a very good body for $800. That was 6 years ago.

There are tons of sammi's down on the coast. Patience my friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts