BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone might know about how much to get a lift put in my broncoII about 4 inches susp lift would be nice, and if it is a project that someone who is moderatly mechanicaly inclined could do without a shop.. also wondering if anyone out there has had there roof choped off there bronco II to make it kind of a convertable, I would also like to find a price out for this,,, thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey bud, if you have a budget, and dont want to spend a lot of money.do what i did,I bought a used complete 4'' trailmaster suspension out of a 1984 ranger,picked it up for $550.00 took it to the shop had it installed for $650.00 that included alighnment,and 4 u bolts that i was missing. total estimated install time was approximately 8 hours,leave youre sway bars in.you will need to replace youre rear drive shaft with a custom built longer one.this will cost you around $550.00 .my total $1750.00,if you can find a cheap mechanic great,a used lift great,if you price out a new suspension installed everything,for a b.d.s. kit youre lookin at $2500.00 ,for high end sky jacker will set you back $3200.00

·
Registered
898 Posts
3 years ago, I paid $750 plus shocks for a brand new Trailmaster 4" lift (got 6"coils, had to ******* up a leaf pack to match...) I have a SLIGHT camber problem, but not too bad
Part # FB 116...

I did mine in my back compound in four lazy days...YMMV

If you can afford it, get some extended radius arms as well. I'm still kicking myself for not getting them

On mine, I went through a pair of stock rear driveshafts, then went to the wrecker and got an Explorer FRONT shaft. Took less than an hour to modify it to work (it has larger U-joints and cardan unit, and is about 3" longer)

I chopped the top last year. It was very cool when the weather was decent...SUCKED in the rain. Now I'm in the process of flat-decking it and closing off the back of the cab
(I love my grinder)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Skyjacker Stage II system will be like $2000 bucks man, dont buy trailmaster they suck!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey bud,blue coyote is right,I regret getting extended radius arms to, if your gonna do it, do it once, do it right!!! also regret going with 4'' suspension,try getting a sky jacker 8'' suspension,and youre bronco will be king.

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
www.jamesduff.com www.bcbroncos.com
check them out. the james duff coils are the best you can get for a EB so i am thinking they should be very comparable in a bII.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey if you want a nice ride get the duff kit, they only do ford kits and they know what they are doing I have the vr3 lift in my ranger with 1" blocks under the coils for 4" lift, works great off road and on road. The drop brackets for the pivits are way better then all the rest. Just my .02
Terry

------------------
92 ranger 33"tires 456 gears
5"lift

·
Registered
898 Posts
Originally posted by desteurm:
, dont buy trailmaster they suck!
Oh gee, thanks! I guess my lift kit sucks.
It may not be the "best" kit on the market, but it does just fine on Broncenstein, and has for a while now, including Harrison to Pemberton with no rear driveshaft or brakes. Including when I had to BACK UP THREE STEEP HILLS WITH MY FOOT TO THE FLOOR (not enough weight transfer on the front drive axle...)

I offered up my own experience, instead of simply knocking a product.

Sorry for the rant, but I get a bit tired of hearing that the Trailmaster lift sucks. Mine doesn't!!!

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
228 Posts
James Duff is by far the best quality lift. And cheaper than the rest as well. I had the 3" in my X for awhile, before the Stupidlift, then the SAS. But when I did the SAS, I went back to Duff coils, cuz they rock.

Cheers
Dale

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer
Chrome grill guard and some other mods...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Please dont sing the "BLUES"...just trying to get a rise out of somebody and it worked, I apologize if you took it to heart...8" of lift in a B2 just doesn't seem right, you are going to munch the U-joints constantly, just my opinion. As for the extended radius arms, well wirth the dough, the longer the arm the more travel if you get even longer shocks than even more wheel travel, the drop brackets and stamped steel factory arms work OK, but I wanted more ground clearance and they hang way to low for my likings! It would suck to yank one of the radius arm mounts off of the frame, out on the trail, and stamped steel looks so factory!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey man, check out www.bronco2.com and go to bronco 2 corral you will find a picture of a red bronco 2 with a 3'' body lift and 8'' sky jacker suspension he is runnin 38'' swampers, this truck looks insane, way to cool,i wanted to swap my 4'' for a 8'',do you think i should settle for a 6''.and less modifications?? I dont want to be breaking stuff its a daily driver.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Originally posted by desteurm:
Please dont sing the "BLUES"...just trying to get a rise out of somebody and it worked, I apologize if you took it to heart...
No problem. Rereading it, it seems a bit harsh to me too

8" of lift in a B2 just doesn't seem right, you are going to munch the U-joints constantly, just my opinion.
[/B]
6" of suspension lift. The rest is the difference between the wife's 235's and my 32's. It used to go through a stock rear driveshaft every 14 months, until I swapped in the Explorer front d-shaft into the rear of the truck. Even with abuse (playing on pavement with flexy leafs in 2wd low range), it hasn't messed it up...yet. The front d-shaft is stock. All the same u-joints as the day I bought the truck, except for the rear driveshaft, of course...

Heh heh, the radius arm brackets can still be eliminated (probably when I finally swap in Dale's old D35)

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanx for the advice,may be i should get some lockers first,and the gears big $$$, I think driving that high up on such narrow frame may just be a little too dangerous for my driving habits.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Actually, by chopping the top off, (losing about 300 lbs!!!) even with 6" of lift and 32x11.5's, Broncenstein is MORE stable than the wife's Eddie Bauer BII on 235/75's.

And BTW, Broncenstein is on page one of the gallery at bronco2.com (A couple of years ago, with the Trailmaster lift-as it was then, 31" tires, and before the top was chopped) A few newer pics can be found at http://www.Broncenstein.homestead.com/Untitled1.html

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

[This message has been edited by Blue coyote (edited December 01, 2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts