BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you might be able to tell, im still mulling over what wil be my project rig. the chassy will be an fj-40 or a sami. want something japanes with take off rood and doors. my problem is i dont like eather motor.

if i do do a motor swap, im looking for something that wont be too hard. also going to do some major frame, susp, and boady work. this will be my first real project rig.

all help and ideas are wanted
thx

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The 3.0 litre V6 is easily one of the worst motors Toyota ever produced. For the love of god don't put a 3.0 in your fj. You should ask yourself why abseloutly no one else on the planet has ever swapped that motor into anything. Theres probably a good reason. Underpowered and gas sucking are words that come to mind, not to mention the complete lack of aftermarket parts and the HUGE cost of what few are available. The motor is very reliable, but if it can barley move a stock pickup how on earth is it going to handle a tricked out Landcruiser? I would suggest a 4.7 litre V8. Between Lexus and Toyota that motor has been in production for about 12 years now, so they can be found at wreckers. A 3.4 litre with a TRD supercharger would be awesome to. How about a Supre motor-easily turboed. All of the later mentioned motors have the same reliability of a 3.0 but actually produce power in an accetable relation to gas consumption and all have a decent aftermarket following as well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The 2F is a very solid engine, I would seriously think about keeping it in the truck if you were to get a landcruiser. It is a inline 6 which is very tourqy and if you maintain them properly they will never let you down.

·
Registered
387 Posts
the inline 6 is a good motor, but if you want to go all out go with a 350 chevy sb. that way you have unlimited power opions. they fit really nicely in a cruiser. its up to you.
i would go with a 350 sb rebuilt with good compresion and 350hp.
is this a trailer rig? not a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
what about a vortec 4.3. and nv4500. but thats lotsa $$$$$

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lots of 350 swaps have been done, very nice if done right. i would use a chevy tranny as well, a Sm420, or SM425. I had a cruiser with a 350 and the 425, great combo, I had enough power that I could drive around in 4th gear all the time if I wanted to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts