BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for all those omniscient 'zuki owners on this page.
Are there any brake caliper swaps that would get me bigger/better/beefier calipers on my Sidekick? I really don't want to get into extremes like replaceing axles and swapping in SFA or anything like that. All I would like is some crazy tough brakes.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Whats wrong with the stock brakes? Other than a warpped rotor up front on my 4dr I don't find any lack of stoping power. Just curious.

I'm going to try to put discs on the back this summer when I get a spare moment. I'm throwing the Calmini lift under and 31's so I thought discs would be nice all the way around.

Other than putting dics on I can't think of anything else.

------------------
1991 4Dr Sidekick JLX
Calmini Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
Speed Kills! Let Me Drive And We Will Live Forever)
[email protected]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really have a chief complaint about the braking, but it'd be nice to have a beefier rotor/caliper combo up front. Could be that I'm paranoid, or maybe just the street racer in me still wants to go fast.
How much work is involved with rear disks? You know?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey, Chimp.
Why don't you get yourself a nice little Civic and race that thing around like all of your fast and the furious to die friends. If you read a little sticker on your driver door it will tell you that a Sidekick is an off-road vehicle and must be driven as such. It is definitely not a racing machine. Its brakes are designed to work with this particular vehicle: light weight, short wheel-base, weight distribution (more weight in the back then front axle) suspension flex and other factors that make them work ideally in this set up.
Mess with your braking power = mess with handling characteristics. Add a bit of your racer attitude and you have a perfect wheel locking rear ender and spinout recipe.
I don't want you driving in my neighborhood!

Sorry to be a bit harsh on you man, but I really hope you were not serious about braking upgrades for a reason you mentioned. Think twice before you will put yourself and more importantly, others in danger.
My advice: your stock brakes, given they are in a proper operational order, are perfectly adequate for the task they were intended. Ask any one on this board….

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I see where you are comming from, you are parinoid!
Once you learn what your kick will and won't do then figure out what needs to be done to your brakes. Most of the time its not the brakes that are slipping and not stoping you, its your god damn tires sliding.

Rear discs I haven't quiet looked at what it will take, I am hoping it is the same as a sumurai.

Remember that you are driving a lite vehical that will slide and slip when ever possible.

Just my two cents.

------------------
91 4Dr KICK JLX
Calmini 3" Suspension Lift (SOON)
Tires? Oh what to buy?
(Speed Kills! Let Me Drive And We Will Live Forever)
[email protected]

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, for the record I'm not a moron, I know I drive a 4x4 and I don't race it, that would be stupid. I was only kidding, sorry for the misunderstanding.
I was just looking at upgrading the whole brake assembly, to increase brake power and brake control.

·
Registered
392 Posts
like i said, rear disc, that'll help. Last night messin around i took a caliper of a kick and put it on my samurai. Fits but the bleeder is in a different spot so it might be a pain in the ass to bleed. I'll use the kick calipers for my rear disc conversion on my new LWB sami. And yes they are pretty much the same as far as doin a rear disc goes. Brake pad off the kick is missing a nub that the sami pads have, so u'll have to be specific when orderind brake pads.

------------------
ZookPower

1 - 10 of 10 Posts