BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okey so here it goes, i was wheeling this weekend and going up a hill. i started to slip so i laid on the gas pedal a little ~ not anything huge though, anyway because of the axle wrap in my jeep i snapped my pinion gear right in half. so what are my options? i want to convert my EB 9" to 31 spline so this is the best time. can i still use the bearings, running gear etc from my EB 9"? let me know. i figure i need a new carrier and axle shafts (31 spline) what else.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Oh! That was you driving though South Surrey backwards yesterday!
Ryan was driving the MJ, I was in the YJ and Pat was driving the Buick.
So I gather that your pinion does not usually point up at such a steep angle. We were thinking it was a D35 and understood it breaking, but a 9". It boggles the mind.
I know Pat has a 9" that is only 4 total inches wider than yours for sale cheap(is complete but needs a rebuild). But I think it is also just 28 spline.

Wes

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Wes Rempel:
Oh! That was you driving though South Surrey backwards yesterday!
Wes
ya it sucked, i had to drive in reverse from bc hothouse to ocean park because it wouldn't drive forward without a horrible noise coming from it

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How would changing your axle shafts & carier. If your axle wrap is that bad, you should also put on like a track bar or some links.

------------------
BREAK 2 BRONCOS AND CALL ME IN THE SUMMER

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by BRONCO BUSTER:
How would changing your axle shafts & carier. If your axle wrap is that bad, you should also put on like a track bar or some links.

ya i have planned out my traction bar, i just need to go get the heim joints. i will get on that soon, it will probably be done before my jeep is back on the road

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hell, if your gonna get new axles, might as well do the thing I have planned for my EB, and thats get 35 spline axles. They are the same price at performance shops if you get like Strange racing ones. Then get a 35 spline detroit or spool to match.

------------------
Future boggin EB owner

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You're right that you'll need a spool or Detroit for the 35-spline axles... (Hehe)... but 35-spline axles won't fit the stock carrier!

33-spline is the biggest you can fit in there - again, spool or Detroit is all you can do.

Stick with the 33's unless you want to shell out mega coin for an aftermarket carrier (aka third-member).

I went through this rigamarole on a 9" we used for racing. Even at 33-spline, the carrier is the weakest link, and that's with the better "WAR" unit. With an "N" (nodular iron) carrier, its a toss-up as to which one (axles or carrier) will fail first.

Keep in mind that any custom axle of the same spline is a whole bunch tougher than the factory one.

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited April 04, 2001).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by cornjeeper:
ya it sucked, i had to drive in reverse from bc hothouse to ocean park because it wouldn't drive forward without a horrible noise coming from it
You live in Ocean Park? I've never seen your Jeep driving around. I live just above Crescent Beach.

Are you running stock springs?

BTW, with the anti-wrap bar, I'd think twice about using heims. The ones I've seen in use tend to quickly wear to the point that they start making clunking noises. Could become very aggravating. Rubber or poly might be a better way to go.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya lars i do live in ocean park (18th and 127A st) I'm am at school right now so that is why you haven't seen my jeep yet. i am only out on the weekends for work and then back at UBC for the week. anyway i am running rancho 2.5" springs and a SOA. (and a spool next pay check!!!!!)

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, 2.5" ranchos, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts