BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work we have a 95 Chev 4x4 with the 454 TBI. The last guy that worked on it only did a half assed job on the heater core repiar.

The problem is a pot metal piece at the back of the manifold near the distributor. He took it out, lost the guts inside of it. Didnt bolt it in properly and it eventually cracked right at the threads.

Now the threaded piece is still in there and refuses to come out. We have tried everything.

Would heat work? Thought that pot metal would melt before the iron manifold would warp. Anyone know?

Otherwise, my boss wants me to pull the manifold off anf get the broken piece machined out.

Anyone have experience with the 454 TBI block? I will most likely need to ask you a few questions or can someone point me to a page ?

Thanks all.

------------------
TOY`s Phoenix Gold Car Audio webpage

G

·
Heres what you do.It's pot metal so if you can chip some of it away take a section of pipe.Cut four slots into it and crimp it in a bit.Use pipe thread I believe it's half inch.Gently work it in and out like a tap.It should rip the crap out and leave you with good thread.Had to do this on the boss' dually 454 4x4.Other than that you may have to pull the manifold.It may be bigger than 1/2 inch but it is a standard pipe size.

------------------
If it's too deep go faster

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rob!!! I will suggest it to the boss. We have tried easy outs and no luck so if this doesn`t work, I guess it is off to the machine shop.

I was thinking of using the torch to try and melt it. I do know it takes alot of heat for cast iron to melt. Pot metal must melt at a lower temperature.

Thanks again Rob.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have the same problem at work all the time with 3.8l chev 6's you have to chip out the old piece and then you can buy a tap from snap-on (dont get scared its only about twenty bucks)and clean the threads up. by the way there is an updated piece for it through the dealer which is steel. hope i'm not too late to help.

------------------
85 Samurai 13" lift, Snorkel,Bucket seats, yoda axles, soon to be chev 4.3l V6 th350 and 205 tcase, on 33X12.50 super swampers

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little late, but I appreciate the help. Didnt know about the steel replacement from the dealer. Guess they didnt either.

Anyhoo, took the manifold off and had the piece machined out. Put her all back together and she runs great. Only to discover the heater core was now screwed.

heh,heh ......go figure......

Thanks....

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.