BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Newbie here. Although I've always been a car guy and have owned several 4X4s I've never installed a lift kit in one. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way (suspension vs body lift) to lift a 96 4dr Jimmy? My budget for the lift is about $1000, less is better though. I don't want a ridiculous lift just enough to get slightly bigger tires on for some of the logging roads I take to go fishing. Any suggestions on places in town or local websites with prices and info would be great too. Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Body lifts are generally cheaper, but I have seen many bodies crack after time due to the body lift not being properly installed and/or looked after. suspension lifts will give you more articulation and a better ride off-road. being a 96 it has IFS so a susp lift will probably be expensive.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Call some places like Illusions and Sport trucks (mention bc4x4.com if you call sport trucks), I think it's probably possible to get some cheap coil spacers for the front end and maybe some lift blocks for the rear?

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
A susp. lift for this IFS set up will be around $2000 plus and the brand choices will be very limited.

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Black Eddy. If you are still interested in a suspension lift for the Jimmy, consider looking through E-Bay for one. There are a huge number of people with these rigs swapping to solid axles in the States. There are many used Lift kits available because of this. I purchased a TrailMaster 5" off the web, second hand, in excellent condition, for 500.00 U.S. This is the exact same kit that would fit your Jimmy. After conversion, this would still work within your budget. The other thing is the after market companies are really pumping out the suspension systems for these rigs. There are many more lifts available for our midsize 4wd's than ever before, which is also stirring up some very competative prices. Body lifts are a great economical alternate that would allow the use of larger tires and leaves your suspension stock, but I'll warn you now, depending on whether or not your Jimmy is an auto or a 5 speed - if it's 5 speed, you are gonna cry when you see the hacking you gotta do to your console to allow the stick to operate. However, if you go with a two inch body, you will not have to alter anything. It's amazing how that extra inch will make all the difference.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Hay! Thanks for that info, just took a look through the ebay ads and didn't see any suspension kits listed right now but there were a couple body lift kits going for cheap. I assume that any Blazer/S-10 kits would fit my truck too. All I want is to be able to squueze some 31's in there. I think I'll call the boys at NSOR and have a little chat about my options for this truck. Thanks again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey i got a 92 gmc sonoma, its expensive as hell to lift it. Im doina little research on it, and found that a 4" suspension lift kit for it installed is around 2500-3000 bux. The body lift is sooo much cheaper. For my truck, 3" body lift will cost me 600 installed. Its more wiht mine cause im runnin the 4.3L vortec v6, and the wiring harness is not long enough so they have to lenghten it. With the 3" body lift i can only fit a 32(i think) max in it, so your limited to tire size there. If you do the lift yourself its will be cheaper. But it depends if your good enough mechaninc to do it yourself and engine size.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Big Stu Dawg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stu Dawg. I'd look at that wiring harness again for length. I find it really hard to believe that you don't have enough. When you start looking for that extra length, it's usually there. If the installers feel that you don't have enough, I'd hate to see what they will charge you extra for that harness. 3 inch body will let you fit a 31 Mud Terrain no problem. 32's will work with some rubbing.
I'll mention it again... have a good look around for a 2nd hand lift kit. There is nothing wrong with them, perhaps a little rust and some paint chips, but it will be no different than under your ride. The is a TM 4" kit available for $500.00 U.S. right now. Same kit as mine. Converted to Canadian funds, that's still cheap... considering that you'd pay close to 3 thou. for a new one Canadian, and a used lift in our peso usually sell for 2 thou..
Food for thought.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

[This message has been edited by hay (edited March 14, 2002).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts