BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is great but when I crank the steering wheel over to the max in either direction and then go forward or back it makes these really loud "clacking" sounds. Any ideas what this could be?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by RangerDave:
My truck is great but when I crank the steering wheel over to the max in either direction and then go forward or back it makes these really loud "clacking" sounds. Any ideas what this could be?
Does it have a stock suspension?

Have you tried watching it while a friend turns the steering wheel?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Lars, thanx for responding.

My Ranger has stock everything. I have tried looking at it from the outside but can't see anything. Can't really get my head underneath because it only does it while moving.

I guess I should take it to a mechanic to get it checked out but I have been scammed by every mechanic I have gone to in the last year. Any recommendations anyone on a good mechanic in the North Shore?

I would go to The ford dealership but I don't have any trunks of gold sitting around. : )

Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
In 2 or 4wd and is it auto or manual hubs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't matter if it's in 2 or 4wd, it still makes the noise. And I have to manualy lock the front hubs before going into 4wd.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OK, bear with me here, does the sound eminate from the wheels or the engine bay (power steering?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't sound like it comes from the wheels, more likfe underneath the truck. And I do have power steering.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe your pump? check fluid ... or crank the wheels all the way over and check under truck to see if anything is close to or connecting with something (thinking steering linkage and old suspension letting things get too close) But I'm thinking pump. Mine makes a serious protest at full lock (but mines an old thompson pump - think you have remote res. setup (or CII integrated))
jus' trying to help.
Dave G

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
'96 is still TTB, right? If so, check the radius arm bushings -- the passenger side bushing is very close to the catalytic converter -- the heat causes premature failure of the bushings. Check your axle shaft u-joints. There are three of them -- one in each of the knuckles, the third in the center of the axle (just to the passenger side of the differential housing). I wouldn't expect other suspension problems in a '96 (it's pretty new!) -- but you might take a look at your wheel bearings. Lift the front wheel off the ground and see if there's any play in the bearings.

Hope this helps!

------------------
Steve Dillen -- Really, really stock '90 Ranger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts