BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are these things my brother is going to the dark side and buying a jeep :)... Are the 97's any good do they come with a factory locker whats the 4x4 sytem Selct trac? I. 97 i said should be good it is the newer generation so he should not run into the older realiabily issues. hes 97 was listed at 19,000 with 80,000kms is this a good price

·
Registered
219 Posts
A couple of items on TJ's
- '97 was the first year for the TJ, released mid '96
- the transfer case is a 'command track' or NP 231
- locker(s) have not been available until the release of the 2003 TJ Rubicon. Track lock (limited slip) has been an option.
- a lot of the '97 TJs came with 3:07 diff gears for manual trans / 3:55 for auto, as the larger tire package was not offered yet. There is a tag attched to the diff cover which lists the gear ratio (usually near the top of the tag)

As for the price it may be a little high but the physical shape of any 4X4 can make a BIG difference.

Rob

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
steve25 said:
How are these things my brother is going to the dark side and buying a jeep :)... Are the 97's any good do they come with a factory locker whats the 4x4 sytem Selct trac? I. 97 i said should be good it is the newer generation so he should not run into the older realiabily issues. hes 97 was listed at 19,000 with 80,000kms is this a good price
What older reliability issues?? You can still get them with the Dana 35 rear axle which is weak and if he is going to seriously offroad it, an axle swap should be his first consideration. Or he could find a TJ with a Dana 44 rear end.

As for a factory locker, there isn't one and I wouldn't pay extra for the Trac Loc limited slip. Just throw in a Detroit, ARB or Ox-Locker and you'll be set.

$19,000 for a used TJ?? Too pricey in my opinion, but then I'm cheap.

It only comes with Command Trac which is essentially a traditional part-time 4x4 system. In other words, when in 4x4, the transfer case ALWAYS locks the front and rear output shafts together. So your bro' can't use 4wd on the pavement. The majority of 4x4 trucks work this way.

Any TJ is good but if you're going to offroad a lot, swapping in a D44, Ford 8.8 or any other axle to replace the Dana 35 rear is highly recommended.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Re: Re: 97 jeep tj sport

lars said:

$19,000 for a used TJ?? Too pricey in my opinion, but then I'm cheap.
Unfortunately prices on used TJ's are insanely high. I ran into this problem when I was looking for a used one. I figured for a few extra g's I'd get a brand new vehicle, so that's what I did. Your friend should really consider getting a new TJ. They're not that much more, he can order one with a factory Dana 44 (beefier than a dana 35), they've got a newer lower 1st geared manual transmission (NV3550, replaced old AX-15) and you get the peace of mind that there is NOTHING wrong with your vehicle, and if there is, warranty will cover it.

lars said:

Any TJ is good but if you're going to offroad a lot, swapping in a D44, Ford 8.8 or any other axle to replace the Dana 35 rear is highly recommended.
That statement is bang on. Like I said above, if your friend orders a TJ new, he can get a factory Dana 44 rear end for $680 already installed and warrantied. You can't get much better deals than that! If he buys new, he can also order it with 3.73 gears for no added cost, they'll work up to 33" tires.

·
Registered
192 Posts
steve25 said:
here is the link to the truck that he wants to buy tell me what you think here is the truck
Tough one. It looks nice, but a little too rich for my blood. If he'll be wheeling it, then he basically has two options that everyone would agree on.
A) Buy a new one and build it up - you get a brand-new warranty(depending on what you do to it) and you can choose your mods from there.
B) Buy a used one and build it up. The problem with used Jeeps is that if the previous owner added mods, then he needed them, therefore, he used them and probably beats his rig on the trails.

On the other hand... This does look like a nice Jeep. If your brother has the cash, then have a look at the thing, a susp. lift, new tires/wheels, and flares are pretty basic. Maybe he never wheeled it. In that case, you'd be buying a heavily driven (I think 80k Km in 5 years is heavy) '97 + over $3500 in mods. That basically makes this thing a $15,000 Jeep with all the work done allready.

Does your brother wheel as much as you do? jjk

·
Registered
129 Posts
My 2 cents:
Buy a stock Jeep(, better chance that she was drivin on pavement, which means less trail abuse) and build her up yourself. If you buy a "built" Jeep, you can bet that she has been used/abused on the trail.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Chris S said:
Buy mine instead :D

It's a 2000 with only 30,000 km.

$25,000, but already built for trail use and has tons of options
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4347

It has been used, but not abused. :)
That's about the best deal your going to get on a TJ these days. I mean 6k more than that 97. It's 3 years newer and very well set-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts