BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading a popular 4X4 book the other day (you know the one) and the author claims that most 4X4ers are “working” people. Ok, what does that mean? The author claims that this contributes to the problem that off-roaders have with reputation. Sorry, but I don’t subscribe to this theory. So I ask what do you do for a living? So as not to seem like a hypocrite, I work in “middle management” for publicly traded company. To clarify: I lead a small team of hard working sales people.

Everyone, thank you for your replies! I can't believe how many posts and views my little thread got. I’ve defiantly come to the conclusion that 4X4ers are a diverse group made up of mostly middle and upper middle class people, perhaps contrary to the opinions of many BMW driving "professionals". :beer ;) :D :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Today i am a landscaper

tommorrow I might be quitting that and working in a steel fab. place painting I - beams

·
Registered
100 Posts
uh.. I fill the stereotype quite well.. I work for Lordco, (shipper/reciever/driver) but I'm in school at SFU so it kinda works. You wanna get me a job?? I want a cushy desk job, plus I really want to get rid of the drivers tan. One arm is dark brown, the other pasty white.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I think that stereotype is dead. The wheelers I know come from all walks of life. Some barely scape enough money together for gas and others drive rigs worth $100,000+.

Me? I make video games.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think he means we are working class, which can describe anyone who gets up and goes to work in the morning. Unless of course you don't have to get up because the millions you invested are getting fantastic returns!
I work as an RN in the O.R, and I am totally working class!
And it only takes one skullhead to ruin it for all of us. I don't care if he works for 7-11 or some huge company, this is whats slowly killing our sport.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would seem that the majority of people on this board are "professional” types with careers. This is a good thing, and should help change the way people look at those of us who choose to drive around in modified trucks. Every time some idiot in lifted truck does something stupid it unfortunately reflects on all of us and compromises our ability to access land. For the record I’m not suggesting that people without career type jobs are in any way more responsible for any bad rap that 4X4ers may have. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting debate

Hi folks,

Interesting debate.

Could get into the whole socio-economic divide between managers and employees couldn’t it?

That book you referred to was originally printed in 1988 when a lot of the current crop of 4x4 enthusiasts were still driving tricycles, and maybe a lot of backroads drivers at the time were people in the trades or whatever the author thought was working class. He was saying that that there was a class-bias against working people, and that any destruction by 4x4 drivers would be blamed on them.

Since 1988 the popularity of the SU and AWD vehicles has put a lot more people out on the backroads.

Now the blame for any destruction can be evenly spread around can’t it?

I’m a freelance magazine and Internet news writer for commercial fishing industry stuff. I work on fish boats sometimes and came from the logging industry. Like our friend the RN I am unapologetically working class.

For me the 4x4 is a means to an end. Getting to the end of a road so I can camp and hike and hunt in the forest and mountains.

I can tell by reading a lot of the other conversations on this site that many of the other participants here are into the equipment, the tire size, the aftermarket bolt-ons and the suspension body-lifts as much if not more than actually going anywhere interesting.

And yeah, if some 4x4 drivers (whoever they are) continue to think “Off-road” means doing doughnuts on a meadow with a perfectly good track going through it, those Yuppies from Kerrisdale and West Van in their Range Rover coming along behind are going to be offended.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts