BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that many of you are aware that there is a lawsuit pending in the US regarding the Rubicon trail. Many clubs, associations and other organizations across North America are donating money to the Blue Ribbon Coalition's Legal Action Fund.

While the Rubicon Trail is not a local trail it is one that many locals travel to and that many others would like to run.

The B.C. South Coast Allterrainers is donating $200 to this cause.

The Allterrainers challenge all other clubs and associations in the Lower Mainland to meet or beat our contribution.

Here is some further information on the issue:

Written by Del Albright,

To All:
Here is the BlueRibbon Coalition press release on the Eldorado National Forest (Rubicon, Rock Creek, and many other trails) lawsuit. Friends of the Rubicon is in the game! Many other groups will be part of this, but for now, both BRC and Cal4wheel (CA4WDC) have set up legal funds to handle donations to the fight. I'm in this one for the duration.

We need you to round up support as best you can. Tell folks this is the way to help (contributing to the Legal Action Fund), even for folks who
live where travel to the Rubicon is still a dream. Let's keep that dream alive.

Let me know if you have any questions. Remember that FOTR is merely an informal coalition of interested folks. So we are not a write off (for
money sent to Albright Enterprises for FOTR). You're better off right now sending money to BRC Legal Action Fund (or the Cal4 fund if you're a member and want to contribute there).

I'm very optimistic that we're going to make history with this one. Thanks for all your support and help,
Del
Trail Boss, Friends of the Rubicon
BlueRibbon Coalition Ambassador

####
BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.
WWW.SHARETRAILS.ORG
Feb. 20, 2002

UPDATE ON LEGAL ACTION REGARDING ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST LAWSUIT

As many of you know, several preservationist groups have filed a lawsuit that has the potential
to close many of our favorite off-highway vehicle trails on the Eldorado National Forest.

Fortunately, BlueRibbon Coalition Legal Action Fund attorneys had been monitoring this issue for several months and are coordinating with local
recreation and access groups to mount a strong legal challenge to the preservationist's lawsuit.
BRC and its partners will be taking formal steps to become parties to this litigation in the next several weeks. For those interested in learning more about our legal action on this matter please contact:

BRC's Bill Dart:
[email protected]

One thing is guaranteed in legal action. It will cost money. The BRC has already set up an account to which you may send your tax-deductible donations. Contributions will be gladly accepted via the US Mail or filed online using Pay Pal at: www.sharetrails.org

Mail donations to:
BlueRibbon Coalition Legal Action Fund
Attn: Eldorado Legal Action Fund
P.O. Box 5449
Pocatello, ID 83202-0003
####
Del Albright
Web Site: www.delalbright.com/
"Take stock of time -- your most precious commodity -- you never know when
it'll run out." D. Albright, 2001

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.
B.C. South Coast Allterrainers

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited March 16, 2002).]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not one reply... that's what I thought.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Island4x4.com will more than likely send in some coin.

I just have to find the time to check out the links you posted, and determine how much money to send based on what kind of free cash I have on hand (Island4x4.com is not for profit so donated monies would be coming out of my own pocket on the behalf of the site).

Just didn't want to post anything until I had all that figured out.

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the centre of the universe". - Fishbone circa 1993

"I love the smell of Argon in the morning, smells like victory".

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert Humphrey

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts

Not one reply... that's what I thought.
You only posted this last night. Clubs have to have a meeting to see how much they want to donate

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN

Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, 3 wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited March 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Jarett:
You only posted this last night. Clubs have to have a meeting to see how much they want to donate

I was hoping for posts like jo-jo's or something like, "Hey we have our meeting next week. I'll bring it up to the membership." Know what I mean?

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

·
Registered
353 Posts
What a bunch of morons! Sending money to rich Americans to keep trails 2400 km away open... for who? Get a grip and keep the money in this freakin' country worrying about our own issues! Wake up and keep what amounts to $120 US working for members in your own club!!!
Good Night!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by sparrow:
What a bunch of morons! Sending money to rich Americans to keep trails 2400 km away open... for who? Get a grip and keep the money in this freakin' country worrying about our own issues! Wake up and keep what amounts to $120 US working for members in your own club!!!
Good Night!
Hmm...that was intelligent and thought provoking...

I guess we should send back the money the Americans have sent us to help us in our land-use problems...and attach a note saying they are "morons" for being so generous and friendly?

Hmm...me thinks not...it's called commradre and it'show you make friends in different places.

At least I know I have some very cool hosts down in California when I get a chance to go down...(due to being friendly...er...I mean being a moron).

(Excuse any spelling mistakes...I'm just a moron)

------------------
jo-jo

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the centre of the universe". - Fishbone circa 1993

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert Humphrey

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by sparrow:
Good Night!

Why don't you use the search function on this message board and see how many times Rubicon comes up. Look around and I'm sure you will see that there are large numbers of people from our area that go down there. Actually you should know this already, you've been a member of this message board and the mailing list for long enough.

The fact that many of us travel to other places to go four wheelin' is in my mind good enough reason to support them. Land use issues affect us all. Even far away places can and will be used as examples for local issues.

If you don't want to help that is fine but don't tell us who to support.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Who sent us money on land use issues and why? What trails have the Americans helped to keep open for us?

Thanks everyone for stabbing us immediately for not making a donation. I am still doing research thanks, I want to know who has filed the lawsuit against who.

In my mind lawsuit would imply that somebody is suing somebody else with hopes of getting monetary damages. I dont understand how a lawsuit could be filed to get a trail closed.

As far as I can tell, this lawsuit is meant to stop people from going through creek crossings near Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe is one of a very few truly Blue Lakes around anymore. Vehicles crossing these streams and creeks stir up silt and toss in vegetation that eventually make their way into the lake and promote algae growth. This will eventually turn the lake Green.

Now theres environmentalists trying to stop any vehicular travel in the area. Now theres these people who want us to donate money that want to put up a legal fight with the environmentalists to prevent them from closing the area.

In my opinion this is all going the wrong way.

We all agree that Lake Tahoe should be preserved right?

What needs to be done is trail maintenance!
It is not necesarily the few creek crossings that are the problem, its runoff from the trails into the creeks and streams that are also having an effect. The trails need to be maintained in a way as to not promote excessive contaminants in the water running into Lake Tahoe. Some low budget bridges can be put in to keep vehicles out of the water, and berms can be built in the necesary places to prevent 'stuff' from flowing into the water.

Instead of a big legal battle how about sending out a couple teams to fix the problem instead?

As far as my research has taken me so far, the only reason for this campaign is the prevention of the Greening of Lake Tahoe. I would rather see people out there fixing the trails to get the trails into a condition that will not effect the water that flows into the Lake instead of seeing two small groups of people tied up in Legal Battles for years while the trail conditions get worse. By the time its out of court the lake will be covered in Algae, even if the environmentalists win, everyone has lost because the lake will already be destroyed.

If I am wrong on these issues please tell me

We will discuss this at our next club meeting. We will get the facts before blindly donating money when I have no assurance of where it is going.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
30 Posts
quote:
---------------------------------------------
Good Night!
-------------------------------------------
you complit idiot, i've never been to the con , but as soon as i can i will, but i can't go if it's closed. the loss of the con is a loss to everybody that wheels.think about it.

------------------
85 4Runner 400000 kms and still going

[This message has been edited by este (edited March 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Read that any way you want.
I have to drive for 5 hours to get to a trail that has any kind of challenge. Why? because all the trailsystems within reach have been closed down. That or pay ludicrous bucks to get on a ferry to the Island and someone wants me to send money to a cause that is backed by every North American 4x4 magazine, lobby group, bulliten board, and mailing list.
How about, and this might be a tad over the top, we actually try to get some form of impetous going on local trails. Do you think all those 4x4 magazines, Blue Ribbon folks, and listers contributing to the Rubicon cause will rally behind us? HA! Can you spell 'advertising dollars?'
I'm not talking about making friends 2400 km away (and I sure hope I don't have to buy my friends) I'm talking about friends you can see on the local trails on a daily basis.
So go to your meeting and get those members to get behind local issues... and if money needs to be involved I hope you get your Charity Status so those foreigners send their tax deductable charitable donations!
Good God, somebody out there has to be thinking!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hmm...funny how these land-use (political) things always seem to turn into a mess.

Those that oppose us must be loving the in-fighting they see amongst us.

Expressing a view point is one thing, but I think everyone (both, any, and all sides) should keep the name calling out of it...unless it's me calling myself a moron, because that's allowed.

That's all I have to say on the matter...I'm going out for dinner...to talk about trucks and leave the politics aside!

------------------
jo-jo

- Hubert Humphrey
[This message has been edited by jo-jo (edited March 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by jo-jo (edited March 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't hijack this thread if you are against the idea. If you really feel so strongly about it why don't you start your own thread and those of us that do feel it is a worthwhile cause can get back to business.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry about the name calling Sparrow, i really want to go and wheel the con, and got a little upset about the news.

------------------
85 4Runner 400000 kms and still going

1 - 20 of 62 Posts