BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are older, the roll of film was developed and then fell under my desk. Circa 1 month ago:

Bucking the frame-sleeving trends and going shackle under frame style. :D It's a little dark, but that piece is a stock rear shackle hanger. It stuck out a bit due to the spot chosen for it on the frame (so we could get a killer shackle angle), and was gusseted 2 ways in addition to being welded all the way around underneath.

Kolin welding on the Ford shock mounts.

Almost ready to roll... or so you'd think? :D Nah, it's gonna be a while, just thought I'd share a few pics. The 7 leaf waggy packs ended up getting a full length add-a-leaf with a comparable spring rate stuffed into them. They're still really soft, and will compress into a negative arch no problem.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somewhere in the neighbourhood of 6 to 7 inches. It ramped almost a grand on just the front end the other day too. :D

Shackle under frame (3 inches lower than stock location):
-> 1.5 inches of lift.

2.5 inch longer shackles:
-> 1.25 inches of lift.

3 inch drop hanger with spring eyes a total of 5 inches lower than stock location:
-> 2.5 inches of lift.

So that leaves about an inch or two for the Waggys (which as I said have had a rather large leaf added to them) to do their magic. :D

So basically, I'm into this lift for the front for a couple hundred bucks, now we're going to see if we can do the rear this cheap. To match it to the front I'm going to use a 3" block for now, but that's going to come out when I do my Ranger spring swap down the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey looks good,but you might find those shakles are a bit long for the width that they are. I made simular ones and they seem to fall over when going around corners making the steering mushy,possibly join the center with some square tubing or make the top tube wider like the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
the u bolts on the right hand side (left in pic) why are they mounted like that? why not under the axle not infront like u have it, isn't that dangerous?

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tslyota said:
hey looks good,but you might find those shakles are a bit long for the width that they are. I made simular ones and they seem to fall over when going around corners making the steering mushy,possibly join the center with some square tubing or make the top tube wider like the stock ones.
Those were our ******* brand 8" eye to eye test shackles, to see how much flex we could get out of the Waggys. They are now 6" eye to eye and I fully expect the suspension (not the steering) to be mushy around corners and around town, I don't drive it on the highway at all. I brace all my shackles with 1/4" angle iron through the center.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pitter said:
the u bolts on the right hand side (left in pic) why are they mounted like that? why not under the axle not infront like u have it, isn't that dangerous?
That was just a silly idea one day while playing with some spare ubolt stock we had. :D

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chris said:
So are you going to build a track bar for the ranger springs?
I'm planning on building a trackbar for the buggy leafs, which will be going in this time around. Just the Ranger leafs + Toyota lift leafs (I was planning on combining the two packs) may not need a trackbar by themselves, but the buggy (with or without Ranger leafs) will definetly need a trackbar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you had a post a while back about the draglink hitting the tie-rod,what did you do?I'm asking cause it looks like i have the same prob with my axle moved 2" forward

·
Registered
504 Posts
well if your draglink hits the tierod you have a couple options.
1----limit travel(not an option in my opinion)
2----move box forward on frame(best solution)
3----move axle back again :rolleyes: not a good thing
4----go traditional cross over steering

any more suggestions???

G

·
Hey Pete. It looks to me like your welded spring hanger ended up in the stock location anyway. With the sleeved spring mounts on the solid axle trucks they have a shackle that comes down to about that area from what I can see from your pics. I only mentioned it because I really dont want to drill through my frame to do the swap as well. Could you have had less lift in the truck by using lesser arched springs and shorter shackles?:confused:

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tslyota said:
I think you had a post a while back about the draglink hitting the tie-rod,what did you do?I'm asking cause it looks like i have the same prob with my axle moved 2" forward
Are you referring to the passeneger or driver side? My tie rod has at least an inch between it and the draglink at the passenger side. If you're referring to the driver's side, it's not hooked up in that picture because the damned pitman arm was being a p.i.t.a.

My pitman arm does however whack my frame when I try to turn right, something to do with improper ps box placement straight from the factory. Going to have to see if I can clock the ps box down a little bit I guess.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NewToyo said:
Hey Pete. It looks to me like your welded spring hanger ended up in the stock location anyway. With the sleeved spring mounts on the solid axle trucks they have a shackle that comes down to about that area from what I can see from your pics. I only mentioned it because I really dont want to drill through my frame to do the swap as well. Could you have had less lift in the truck by using lesser arched springs and shorter shackles?:confused:
Actually if you look at the first pic, the body mount about 3 or 4 inches behind my shackle hanger is where the sleeved hole is supposed to go, there is a little square plate there on your truck right in the middle of the body mount if you go look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sorry for not being clear,I was talking about the drivers side.Looks like I have to move the box forward:( any tips?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
how are your steering angles? and do u think with your front drop hanger that will hit rocks easily, why not run 44044's, and a little less shackle and less drop hanger, or do u want the price down, and flat springs.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pitter said:
how are your steering angles? and do u think with your front drop hanger that will hit rocks easily, why not run 44044's, and a little less shackle and less drop hanger, or do u want the price down, and flat springs.
The steering angles in the picture there are downright horrid. Waaay to much caster. Once we make the shackles shorter they will be perfect. I just picked up my beefier drop pitman arm tonight, IFS SAS owners need to fear the older Allpro kits and the Land Cruiser pitman arms they come with. If your box is clocked a little too much up like mine they whack the frame real good.

The Waggys needed some work when I got them and they still worked out to be cheaper than the 44044s, plus if early testing is any indication they will flex just as good if not better. :D They do give less lift, but that's taken up for by the hanger and shackle mounting, plus they still move your axle forward 2".

If I were to run it without a bumper like in that picture my approach angle in the front is over 80 degrees. :D I have a bigass winch bumper to go on there though so it won't be quite that good. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts