BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do some 4x4ing that will get me to some hiking trailheads in the Chilliwack Valley area this weekend, I would like to hear from anyone that has done the following trails recently:

Church Mountain road

Centre Creek

Mount Ford Lookout road

are the above trails still doable for a stock 4x4? My book says yes, but it's ten years old. Also, is the Chipmunk-Popkum traverse doable for a small 2wd truck? My friend and his 2wd Mazda truck might be coming along on that one.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ford definatley might be washed out last time i was up there the road was pretty skinny , and yes you will need a 4x4 for "FORD", and CHurch mountain, pretty much church can be run in a 2wheel but there are a couple of deep cross ditches depending which route you take

·
Registered
973 Posts
As far as i now, if i am thinking of the same traverse, the chipmunk-popkum traverse is deactivated, but i may be thinkin of a complete diffrent road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Chipmunk-Popkum road is deactivated but still quite passable for a stock 4X4. Most of it is doable for a 2WD but unfortunately (for your friend's Mazda) there are some parts where I think you would be pushing it.

I should note, however, that I have not done the trail this year...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The road down from Chipmunk to Popkum is about 2-3' wide on a sidehill shelf road that was deactivated. It is not doable by any truck. Dirtbike or hiking would be about it.

The Chipmunk-Thurston is all 2wd if it has not rained. Might need 4wd to get through the mud puddles in the pass on the ridge if there is much rain.

Wes

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ford mt ... they finished logging there in july so they might have done some work on the road.. not sure though... going towards church should be fine.. my mom went up there in her stock suzuki sidekick and had no problems

·
Registered
595 Posts
oh and if ya want to go on lots of good hikes in the chilliwack valley buy the book 103 hikes... it is very accurate when talking about road conditions... i recomend you hike mt Rexford..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys, don't let me stop from adding more info if you have it. I have the 103 hikes book, sticki-nicki, it is really good. I already did the Mt McGuire and Elk Mtn hikes, and this weekend I want to do some more that are in that book and some that are not.

BTW, if anyone is intersted in joining me for some stock 4x4'ing/hiking in that area this weekend, let me know.

·
Registered
595 Posts
hey would love to join you but can't cuz of work.... but if your going in sept. some time let me know...just send me and email..

·
Registered
155 Posts
just got back from airplane road thinger it was ok for a stock 4runner had some roupg sections washed out but a stock 4runner can make it dont know about other stock trucks

·
Registered
595 Posts
steve25 if ya wanna do some wheeling just email me..

·
Registered
175 Posts
WUD When you goin? I'm game for some wheelin. Very interested in wheeling hiking in the CHWK area. And Lookin for someone to buddy up with for safety and fun:)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WUD When you goin? I'm game for some wheelin. Very interested in wheeling hiking in the CHWK area. And Lookin for someone to buddy up with for safety and fun
I might still go today (Sunday) for a slightly shorter (it's 11:40 already) day of easy wheeling. But I will almost definitely be going tomorrow. If you're interested, give me a call on my cel at 604-727-6015. Leave a message if I don't answer, and we'll hook up for Monday.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i get mon,tues, wed.. off work... pick a day and yeah..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its a go for Ford mountain. :) Stock ride with a 1/2 hr trail hike. Were meeting Monday at the far side of the Slesse bridge at 10 am. Slesse bridge is just prior to the Fish hatchery. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts