BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 chev i ton long box.When i got it,it had the shocks in the back of the box.After i replaced all the panels and box,i never replaced em,and now cant find em.where can i get more if possible,or is it even worth it?also,the speedo gear in my transfer case broke,so the speedo doesnt work,someone told me i have to rip the transfer case out,but someone else said its a replaceable gm part?whats the true story?and finally,why does my truck chew up the rear bottom shock bushings,only on one side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
the shocks you are refering to are used to reduce frame flex when carrying a heavy load.
you can get them at any r.v./camper shop.
As for the gear in the transfer case all you have to do is remove the rear yolk and cover,slide the gear off and reverse the proceedure to reinstall.
your bushing problems I'd have to have a look at it to see what is going on.
email:[email protected]

------------------
northern extreme 4x4 club
ch 37 It's all good!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Playing around with the speedo gear is a piece of cake! You can see where the speedo cable goes into the transfer case and thats the thingy!! It comes out and in pretty easy and the gears mesh.

It probably is a replaceable part but GM will charge you a fortune for one. Maybe look for an alternate source???

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by longtime runnin:
So I dont dismantle the transfer case then?
It just screws out from the outside then?

Yep. Leave your transfer case on your rig. Leave it inact and untouched. Unscrew the speedo gear thingy (i forget what it looks like now?!?!) and just pull it out. The gears will mesh. Put in a new speedo. Make sure you use some silicone so no water gets in and no gear oil gets out.

Piece of cake. I hope no crossmembers or anything interfere with your speedo gear!!! That'll make things a pain in the ass!

If you post again, please email me because I probably wont check this post again. i was lucky to run into you again.

Later
Erik at [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts