BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks...

I'm about to add some stuff to my '02 TJ, and I need some help, as the subject states.

I'm thinking 2" coil spacer lift, with Bridgestone Deuler ATs (31") on AR767 rims.....

or...

Simply the 31"s for now, and a 3-4" RE suspension lift in about 1 year, then 33"s....

or...

either 31" Michelin LTX ATs, or BFG ATs (or MTs) now...

My TJ has Goodyear GSAs on it right now, and my dealer's parts dept. manager just told me they don't sell Goodyear seperately, they don't recommend Goodyear, and they want to keep as much distance as possible from Goodyear...because they suck...at least the GSAs do. He says the only reason anything leaves there with Goodyears is because Chrysler ships the vehicles with them. He didn't want anything to do with a trade-up concerning Goodyears at all.

He did tell me he'd go Michelin LTX ATs though, and said in a year's time they would be the best tire for resale because they have the best wear, blah blah...I asked him about AR767s, and he sent me across the street to OK Tire. They told me to go Bridgestone, of which I liked the tread pattern better then the Michelins, even if I don't really know the tech info behind tread patterns much at all. They just looked more aggressive, not to mention the better warranty on whatever I buy from them. They can also get the BFGs or Michelins if I want to go that way, wso they're pretty flexible imho.

Both guys told me not to go with the MTs simply because unless I'm on the trails 50% of the time...I'd better get a good tire for the street as that's where I'll be driving most often. They make a gfood point there, at least I think they do.

All this info, and both the Michelin and Bridgestones are $30 more per tire then the BFG ATs (or MTs) if I bought those at Costco...and I'm confused as Hell again.

Basically...I'll be doing the tires and rims 1st, then if I feel rubbing etc, I'll throw the 2" spacer lift in...and run that way for 1 year so I can really see how far in the sport I want to go...then upgrade from there. During which I'll more then likely throw a winch and lights, etc on the TJ too.

Unless the Bridgestone Deulers suck really badly for reason unknown to me, that's the way I think I'll go...but I need some pros and cons of each scenario...if ya have some spare time to help me out.

Thank you very much. :)
Cheers!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rob,
The Brigdestone Dueller ATs are a good tire to go with if you're mostly on the road for 90% of the time. It has a more aggressive tread than the LTX. I just bought a set for my ZJ last Saturday from Costco for 153.00 ea. installed plus 3.00 enviro fee on each tire. They're pretty quiet compared to my old really worn out BFG MTs. They also roll very smooth, again compared to the MTs.
31" tires will fit on a stock TJ with no problems for street driving. On the trails they might rub a little. I'll put the tires on first and then take it out and see how much rubbing you get. Then maybe put in some spacers, which is what I'm running on my ZJ. When it comes time to buy spacers, send me an email. I know a guy who makes them for 75.00 USD shipped. These are the same ones I have on my ZJ.
As for all after market parts, do not even consult your dealer, they know less than you and will tell you sh8t like Goodyear tires suck. But probably with the exception of Mountview Jeep. I have Goodyear MTRs and I love them.
BTW, who did you buy your Jeep from?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it from Deer Lake Chrysler. Spoke to Terry.

Actually, he was really honest about what I 'could' do to my TJ. He took me outside and gave the straight-up, and was very informative.

These guys haven't steared me wrong at all since I started dealing with them...and I'm happy with the service, it's just all this stuff is new to me...so you know how it is. ;)

Thanks for the help again :)
Cheers!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
RobC said:
Both guys told me not to go with the MTs simply because unless I'm on the trails 50% of the time...I'd better get a good tire for the street as that's where I'll be driving most often. They make a gfood point there, at least I think they do.
I think the question you need to ask yourself is this: how much off-road performance are you willing to trade for how much more tire life? If your tires last you 3 years vs. 2 years for the better performing tire, will it be worth it when you need to get winched or tugged twice as often as the people you 'wheel with? Also consider the terrain on which you'll be 'wheeling. It's possible that your terrain won't give MTs any noticeable advantage but I around here, I doubt it.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Lars, are you saying go with the ATs or MTs?

By the last comment, I understood you saying MTs won't give any noticeable advantage. Is that correct?

By the way...I'll be wheeling as much as I can (2-5 times per month minimum), but I will probably upgrade the above described setup next summer, and I'll resell the 31"s for larger tires.

I've also decided to keep the GSAs simply because my TJ is leased (oh God...I said the 'L' word!! :******* ) and even though I will more then likely buy it out after the 4yr term...I'm not sure to do that...so I'd rather throw all the stock stuff back on it when/if I give it back to the dealer to get a better apraisal.

I wanna do some decent wheeling...but I doubt I'll go insane with it until I understand a lot about how to do most of this work myself. Trouble is, I'm no mechanic. I am a fast learner, regardless of how small my tookit is at the moment. ;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...I walked right into that one... :p

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
RobC said:
By the last comment, I understood you saying MTs won't give any noticeable advantage. Is that correct?
So much for my abilities as a communicator. ;)

What I meant by that is that the performance diff. btwn AT and MT tires varies depending on the terrain. In SoCal where they have very dry terrain and lots of rocks, many 'wheelers do just fine with ATs (although that has changed over the last 5 yrs). Up here, where we have more dirt/mud/loose terrain, MTs are better (IMO).

I've also decided to keep the GSAs simply because my TJ is leased (oh God...I said the 'L' word!! :******* ) and even though I will more then likely buy it out after the 4yr term...I'm not sure to do that...so I'd rather throw all the stock stuff back on it when/if I give it back to the dealer to get a better apraisal.
So you can buy some cheap steel wheels and run your MTs for off-road use and the ATs for street.

I wanna do some decent wheeling...but I doubt I'll go insane with it until I understand a lot about how to do most of this work myself. Trouble is, I'm no mechanic. I am a fast learner, regardless of how small my tookit is at the moment. ;)
I'm a slow learner and I've done ok, so you'll be just fine. :D

MTs are still beneficial, even for the "decent" 'wheeling.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...I'll look at this option as well. Costco has the MTs for $159 plus installation, only it takes them 10days to get them...I'll give OK another call.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
MT

The biggest benifit you can make to a rig is having the right tires for the job. IMHO the tread is more important than the size.

Get 31" BFG MTs. Make sure to get the "new" tread design.

Now go to a wrecker and get 4 "coil spring isolators" from the front of XJs (cherokee) or TJs. They are the rubber part above the coil spring that seperates the spring from the metal mount. They about 1/2" thick. Considering the number of XJs out there you shouldn't pay more than $5.00 each for them.
Install them above your springs stacked with the isolators that are already there, add 3 fat washers between the bump-stop cup and the spring tower, and you are ready to wheel.

While you are at it make some $10.00 front sway bar disconnects, then remove your rear sway bar and drop it over a cliff someplace. :D

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Chris S said:
MT

The biggest benifit you can make to a rig is having the right tires for the job. IMHO the tread is more important than the size.
We don't often disagree but I do disagree with you on that point. I think that given somewhat similar tread designs (ie: I don't mean to say a Swamper is similar to a BFG MT), tire size is a bigger factor. Depends on the terrain of course. But for big rocks and mud, I think tire size is more critical.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
lars said:

We don't often disagree but I do disagree with you on that point. I think that given somewhat similar tread designs (ie: I don't mean to say a Swamper is similar to a BFG MT), tire size is a bigger factor. Depends on the terrain of course. But for big rocks and mud, I think tire size is more critical.

...lars
I believe it was AT Vs MT that was the last point of discussion.
So you think a 35" AT will do better in big rocks and mud than a 33" MT? My experience would disagree with that. Clearance doesn't help without traction to move.

My personal experience has been with mud, loose gravel, hard pack dirt, and sections of football size rocks. Most trails around here involve a hill climb sooner or later, usually covered in loose gravel. When I had street tires I couldn't climb diddly. When I borrowed a buddy's ATs I could climb most of them. When I got MTs I could climb all of them, usually far easier. This is with very little change in tire size (225s, then 235, then 30s).

Natuarally if you are comparing 31" tires to 36" tires it is a whole different world.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Chris S said:
I believe it was AT Vs MT that was the last point of discussion.
So you think a 35" AT will do better in big rocks and mud than a 33" MT?
Hell no. :D Sorry, I thought you were talking about something like old BFG tread vs new BFG tread.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys.

Both points of view...er...that one point of view...er...what you are both trying to say in a round-about way really does help a lot when you read between the confusion...no, really...it does. ;)

Although...(I didn't say 'but') since I'll mostly be driving onroad, do you still recommend the MTs? I want to go wheeling, but realistically, with a stock TJ...even with a 2" spacer lift, do you think I'll be equipped to do any crazy rock-climbing? I mean, maybe I will be able to...but if I ever do that, I doubt I'll be going on so-called double-diamond trails before I get a better lift, and buy a lot more safety equipment and get myself ready for serious wheeling.

I mean, I am a newbie here...although I'm very eager as well.

That having been said...if the MTs are the best choice for both onroad and offroad applications...then sign me up.

(don't ya hate an unsure newbie? :p )

Cheers! :D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Could you do stuff likethe "hammers" run in Trail talk, no.

Can you do some seriously nasty stuff that most people would not even consider passable for a motorized vehicle, yes.

Get the MTs. If you find you need better rain and winter traction get them siped (do a search if you need to know about siping).

my TJ with a 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, and 33s:

I went cheap on the lift so I could spend the money on skids and a winch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well folks...Goodyear MT/Rs are going on my stock rims this Friday afternoon...

...but which way should I have the white lettering face? Inside or out?

They're 31"s btw...going on my black '02 TJ APEX SE. I'm kind of wanting to keep it dark...although I won't be putting the AR767s on yet...that's next paycheck.

I can't wait!! :) :)
Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
white letters

its really up to you, but personally i prefer the white letters out.

i drive a 95 yj all black and i run white letters, cause i think it looks better. i like to have a 4X that also looks good, although the winch just looks beefy, not pretty.

whatever you decide, just be keeping the shiny side up.

eat, sleep and JEEP

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not to disagree but i always say keep the black out as you can keep them looking cleaner, and when you tire shine them it doesn't make the white look all dirty:D what?? You can't ell me you've never shined the tires up?? NICE choice with the MT/R's:D

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
With chrome rims I say black side out. It will make your tires look taller.

With black wheels I say white letters out to break up all the black.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I say: do whatever you want. Or ask people on Jeeps Unlimited to post pics of your options...you'll get lots of responses. ;)

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts