BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to build up my home toolbox and I’m very seriously considering the accelerator wrenches from mastercraft. Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome. :confused:

I’ve generally been very satisfied with the professional series tools from mastercraft and the prices are good if you get them on sale. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got a set for Christmas. They don't work and wreck bolts. By design a wrench is supposed to 'grab' a bolt head and provide leverage for you to turn it. If you look at these, one of the arms is cut off, so it doesn't 'grab' the bolt securely. Don't waste your money - I would only recommend these to my sister who's biggest worry is tightening her Ikea furniture. If you deal with any bolts that are even a tad tight (ex. EVERYTHING ON A TRUCK) then these are major knuckle busters. Let's go through what the Canadian Tire website says about them:

* The accelerator design allows the wrench to ratchet around the fastener
----I've never seen it work good. The wrench comes off and breaks knuckles
* Longer length shaft for increased torque and greater reach versus standard length wrenches
----More force to break your knuckles
* The open end design engages fastener at angles up to 45 degrees from work surface
----This statement is true for every other wrench in use today EXCEPT this one
* Full polish nickel-chrome plated for superior rust resistance
----most are
* "Off shoulder" design of open end and box end allows more force to be applied
----most are
* The 8 piece accelerator set is packed in a storage rack that can be hung above a workbench
----Only Martha Stewart uses it.

I feel bad about bashing them so much, but save your money. If you're going to be doing any real work, get anything but these. I WOULD reccomend these for my sister because they're 'cute' though.:baby

·
Registered
325 Posts
as stated before don't waste your money they don't work, you need a lot of space to make them "acelerate" or whatever, just go with the regular proffesioal series.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I got two sets for xmas a couple years back. One metric set and one standard set. I''ve used only one wrench and that was because I needed a 'stubby wrench' so I cut one in half. I didn't want to wreck a good gear wrench.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pavement Hater said:
I?m starting to build up my home toolbox and I?m very seriously considering the accelerator wrenches from mastercraft. Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome. :confused:

I?ve generally been very satisfied with the professional series tools from mastercraft and the prices are good if you get them on sale. :D
I have the stubby gear wrenches and to put it simply, they're FANTASTIC... I would buy them again in a second...

Now, the accelerator wrenches always looked suspect to me, and after reading the replies my advice would be to stay away...

Gear good, accelerator bad :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone, thanks for your replies. I was very close to getting a set and now I’m going to get the gear wrenches instead. :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts