BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I dont know much about mog portal axles. What are the advantages of these axles when compaired to, say, the Dana 60? Considerably stronger? Parts cost and availability?

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
They are stronger than a Dana 60. if you want some info on mog axles go to www.exaxt.ca there is lots of info there. Parts are a little harder to find than a normal axle, but are out there. The thing is, you probably will never have to replace anything other than brake pads and perhaps bearings once in a while.

They are some amazing axles.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, 3 wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by NewToyo:
Hey folks. I dont know much about mog portal axles. What are the advantages of these axles when compaired to, say, the Dana 60? Considerably stronger? Parts cost and availability?
Yes, stronger for sure. Front/rears use many interchangeable parts. In fact, if I understood Rob correctly, converting a rear to full steering is a matter of unbolting and bolting on parts from a front axle. Of course, you get about 5-6 inches of added ground clearance compare to any conventional axle. The 'Mog axles also come with cable-actuated spools and an overall reduction ratio of about 7:1 so you don't need to buy lockers/gears (if you're happy with this super low ratio).

Parts cost/available will be higher simply because the 'Mog parts are harder to come by. On the other hand, they should require replacement/repair less often as well.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi "NewToyo",

There are many advantages to Mog axles. We outline some of them at http://www.exaxt.ca.

Really, parts availability isn't that bad. Of course, they aren't in every neighbourhood junkyard, but neither are front D60 axles. And odds are that you won't need parts often enough to worry about that much. How many axles have an approx. 4 inch I.D. outer wheel bearing? Or an outer stub shaft the size of some domestic axle tubes? A lot of the strength comes from the fact that full torque at the wheel is only at the wheel, and axle shafts, R&P, etc. all run at half that torque load.

Larry, you're correct, it's easy to "upgrade" a non-steering Mog axle to a steering one.

That said, these axles aren't for everyone. The unsprung weight is more than what some small chassis are up for. As well, with 404 axles, your axle ratio is 7.56:1. So if you want highway speeds, you either run with big meats, a steep overdrive, a 4cyl motor, ear plugs, or some combination of these. Newer Mog axles have more axle ratios to choose among, but are more expensive and heavier (we can help you out there too). But for big tires, gobs of clearance, and lots of strength, they are really hard to beat. Particularly when they are already geared and locked.

Specific advantages to a D60:
- oilpath hubs
- wheel bearings that dwarf a D60
- axle U-joints that dwarf a D60 (with half the torque and a CV to halve the U-joint angles)
- axle shafts that are roughly the same size (but again half the torque load)
- sharper turning radius
- clearance gain of some 6 inches
- designed for large tires (handling, alignment, unsprung weight capacity)

--Rob

Originally posted by NewToyo:

[This message has been edited by ryeguy (edited March 13, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by ryeguy (edited March 13, 2002).]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just out of curiousty, what is the axleshaft diameter/spline count for the 404's? If you were doing a hybrid setup, how would you account for the differances in diameters?

Thanks,

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Axle shaft diameters:
- 2 are 35mm
- 1 is monster large, 40+mm (don't have the number here)
- 1 is a bit smaller than 35mm (don't have the number here)

Stock axle shaft splines is 8-spline that has a 35mm I.D. Splines on the stub shaft sit on a 2.5"+ O.D. (drilled) shaft.

For a hybrid axle, there are two choices:
- cut down and respline existing shafts to your center section
- custom shafts
No problem with either, there's enough meat in the axle shafts to machine to most common spline patterns, including Ford 31-spline.

--Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
WHAT KIND OF CND $$$$$$ WOULD THEY BE
And dose anyony have them on a JEEP

------------------
Play Safe Wheel Safe
91 YJ Sprung over on 35's

·
Registered
416 Posts
$5500 for steering axle with the works.If I only had the money these are what would be going under my land cruiser.Check out the link at top in Jarett's post.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that is a lot of strenght but alot of cash as well. BTW RyeGuy, Hulk now adorns the cover of Canadian 4x4 mag doesnt he (or she)

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts