BC 4x4 Forums banner

adjustable track bar

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  4Lo 
#1 ·
I'm currently runninng 4.5" suspension and 2" body, with Swaybar quick disc. My track bars are both been tossed out long ago. Also running 33" MTs. Highway driving is getting a little scary at times, especially at speeds over 100 km.
I'm thinking of putting in some adjustable track bar to stablized the ride a little.
Is anyone running these adjustable units?
Are they worth it?
If so, which one is the best for the price?
Thanks.

------------------
90 XJ traded it for
91 YJ stolen, replaced with
92 YJ

#3 ·
what sort of things happen when you are on the free way. might be something different. let us know.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

#5 ·
personally i wouldn't bother with a track bar mainly because are pricey and all the brackets need to make it work and my diff. anyway i would just take it easy around the corners and save that $ for a locker. has this 'wondering' just started to happen or has it been happening ever since the new springs.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

#6 ·
It's been more noticable since the new shackles, but only on the highway, city driving is fine. It could also be a little bit of bump steer, may be I should put that dropped pitman arm in.
BTW, what's going on with your axles?

------------------
90 XJ traded it for
92 YJ

#7 ·
my diffs are still in my jeep. right now i am in the middle of a tranny/tcase swap. so you have about 4.5-5" of suspension lift and no dropped pitman arm? i would say before you go and get a trackbar you go and pick up a pitman are. you are like 100 bucks and make a world of a difference. if you need a hand putting it in just let me now. i am at UBC and it is a 5 minute drive to you.
andrew

------------------

#8 ·
Originally posted by agent scully:
Well it just seems to float on the highway, and it seems to drift a little bit on turns.
JUst thought that putting back some sort of a track bar would help.
Then again, maybe it's just me.
Assuming all your ball joints and bearings are good, a track bar would definitely help that problem. An adjustable one would be best so you could disable it for off-road use so it doesn't interfere with your articulation.

I haven't tried one yet (need to fabricate a custom mounting method since my diff is now on the other side) but it seems to me the main concern you should have is if the locking collar on the bar is strong enough to handle the load. A bar that continues to use rubber bushings would be my preference over heim joints.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

#9 ·
Originally posted by agent scully:
It's been more noticable since the new shackles, but only on the highway, city driving is fine.
Are the new shackles longer than the old ones? You've probably ended up with less caster than before, and that will give you less "road feel" than before.

Also if you steering is the Y type (don't know if all jeeps are?) then you should probably get an allignment done if you haven't done so already.

With longer shackles you could use some steel shims (buy proper ones) to rotate the axle housing backwards a couple degrees, and that will gain you back your caster.

Hope that helps!

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick <-- A wannabe jeep?

#10 ·
Thanks Kicker, I'll try that.

Hey corn, I've got a Dropped pitman arm already, I bought it off Chris Waterman like 6 months ago. Yeah if you have time to help me put it in will be great. do you have a puller? email me your # again and i'll give you a call next week.
Thanks

------------------
90 XJ traded it for
92 YJ

#11 ·
go to canadian tire and get a lone a tool from them. it is free!!!! call next week after tues (cause i have 2 midterms on tues.)
977-1289

------------------

#12 ·
Well I wouldn't say that it is free....I had to leave a $45.00 deposit. It was returned to me when I returned the puller. You only get it on loan for three days and if you don't return it on time they keep your money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.