BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

Got a bit of money due to a deceased member of the family, but I only get it on the condition that I buy a new vehicle (too bad for me, eh?). I was thinking of a 2 - 3 year old Tacoma, Xtra Cab with the TRD package (I want the locking diff).

Any advice or things to get/look out for on this truck?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
There are a few things to check:
-rear axle seals
-power steering pump
-A/C compressor
-bushings for the return spring on the clutch pedal (they wear out and squeak really badly)

The seals and compressor don't like mud and crap out if the truck is used in the mud alot.

If you can find a TRD get it. The rear locker is well worth the money. If you get a taco upgrade the shocks and front springs. I have Old Man Emu coils and Bilsteins in mine. The ride is 100% better.
I would get a 5-speed, I've been told the auto is a bit too mushy.

They are great trucks, but sure do cost a fortune, even used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about a '96 4x4 4 cylinder?

I am currently thinking about getting one of these. Been looking for ages for something with a 22re, but the prices and mileage are ridiculous, which is why I'm considering something newer.

How does the 3rz compare to the 22re in terms of reliability? I know it's more powerful, but reliability is my main concern. How bout the rest of the truck in general. I'm looking to spend about $11,000 max, hopefully around 125,000 km

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a '96 tacoma with the 2.7L 4cyl (3rz) for $13,900 at a local dealership. 129,000km on the clock. Is this a decent price? It's an xtra cab 5spd 4wd.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They told me tonight that 13,500 inclinding GST is the lowest they will go. That was after I offered 12,900 incl gst

Should I take the plunge??

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
SimonYJ said:
They told me tonight that 13,500 inclinding GST is the lowest they will go. That was after I offered 12,900 incl gst

show them 12 500 or 12 900 cash and u will drive home in it, cash talks at dealerships

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
SimonYJ said:

including GST, that's not bad. and you lucky buggers don't have to pay PST. :angry go for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going to. Gonna have a mechanic inspect it tomorrow, and do a compression test. If everything is okay, I'm taking her home!!
I'm so excited!

·
Registered
23 Posts
anyone ever pay for a carfax report? Just wondering if it's worth the $20 US for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
SimonYJ said:
I'm going to. Gonna have a mechanic inspect it tomorrow, and do a compression test. If everything is okay, I'm taking her home!!
I'm so excited!
do an oil pressure test when the engine is cold and warm, just leave the tester in till the engine gets warm, this will tell if the engine needs main bearings or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The newer 4cyl engines are great. People have very little problems with them and they last a very long time.

You will be hard pressed to find a Taco with 125,000km for $11k. For that price you will get one with 200,000+ km on it. Its stupid how much it costs to buy a used Taco, or any other Toy truck. My 99 has 75,000 on it and I could get $24,000 for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep!!!! Proud owner of a 1996 Toyota Tacoma!!!

I guess I wll have to change my name on here...........SimonYJ just isn't appropriate anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ASAP - I don't have a digital cam, and my scanner is busted. I'll hopefully be able to borrow a cam from somebody.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts