BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I need some advice on an exhaust system for my YJ. I have a 91 YJ and looking for something a bit better than stock. I would like to know what you guys would suggest for me. I was looking at stainless steel ..... is it really worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

Angelo

·
Registered
158 Posts
What size engine? I have a '92 YJ 4cyl. and I went with a 2.25" flowmaster cat-back system. Stainless steel. It was a little bit more money but was WELL worth it. If you have a 6cyl I would probably use a 2.5" pipe. It really works well with some sort of aftermarket intake. I'm using a RAM funnel air and they work amazing together. My next purchase will be a set of headers, and then maybe some kind of high-flow cat or resinator. I'm still trying to keep it leagal.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Registered
539 Posts
cheap high flo cat is a straight pipe with the shell of a cat welded on top

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by Dax's Bad ass Jeep:
cheap high flo cat is a straight pipe with the shell of a cat welded on top

Basically

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by aandre:
Thanks for your reply.....

How much did the system cost?

Angelo
my stainless Borla cat back ran me about 450, but the best thing about it is it bolts right in.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it include a new cat? or just the pipe and muffler?
And were did you get it from?

Thanks

Angelo

Originally posted by cornjeeper:
my stainless Borla cat back ran me about 450, but the best thing about it is it bolts right in.

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
i ordered it in from the states. no it doesn't come with a cat ~ i don't think any kits do! anyway i am running a 3" stainless straight pipe instead of a cat. more flow that way.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A 3 inch pipe instead of a cat? don't you need a cat? Or should I say.....isn't the law to have a cat on your rig?

Angelo

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Or should I say.....isn't the law to have a cat on your rig?
Angelo
yaya that is what my dad said...anyway what are skid plates for anyway ~ to cover that sort of thing up plus it sounds a lot better.

------------------

·
Registered
397 Posts
AA -

If you're unlucky and the aircare guy with the big mirror happens to actually know what a catalytic converter looks like, you will get an automatic failure next time you're there.

Running without a cat (for any vehicle that came with one) is illegal. Plain and simple. Do yourself (and the rest of us air-breathers) a favour and go pick up a cheap aftermarket hi-flow cat and have it installed with the rest of your exhaust.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never said that I wouldn't get a cat ... I was questioning the other post.

Do you kow were I could get a good deal on an exhaust system?

angelo

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
it is a $ issue for me right now. last time i got a quote on a cat the guy said around 250 plus taxes. he said that you can get one for 150 but it will start rattling after a year. right now i can't afford to do that so i am going to head to to gary's and pick up a good looking on there.

------------------

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks for your reply.....

How much did the system cost?

Angelo
Sorry for the late reply. My flowmaster cat-back system ran me about $250 US p+l. The intake was about $170 after tax, shipping, yada yada. Install on that took me about 10 mins.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Registered
70 Posts
LOL LOL LOLWhatever buddy
Originally posted by cwate:

AA -

If you're unlucky and the aircare guy with the big mirror happens to actually know what a catalytic converter looks like, you will get an automatic failure next time you're there.

Running without a cat (for any vehicle that came with one) is illegal. Plain and simple. Do yourself (and the rest of us air-breathers) a favour and go pick up a cheap aftermarket hi-flow cat and have it installed with the rest of your exhaust.

Chris

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift,
'99 TJ, 4 1/2 inch lift, swampers, HS9500, D-44, soon to be a stroker

·
Registered
397 Posts
Do you kow were I could get a good deal on an exhaust system?
Pretty sure I paid less than $200 for mine from Lordco, and a similar price for my Flowmaster 3-chamber. You can specify what pipe size you want, and whether you want the input/output ports centered or offset.

Installation won't cost much extra, if you're having a new exhaust put in anyway.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the Pace Setter TFX system on my '91 YJ 4.0. It is not stainless but my original was not stainless and it lasted 10 years. The quality of the TFX is great, and installation is easy. Performance improvement is very slight, sound is noticably different and it looks good. Price is $149 US from Leon Rosser. Just my .02. I have not tried the Borla as it is to pricey for my blood.
Good luck
Chuck

------------------
Chuck
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com

·
Registered
237 Posts
I paid just over 200$ for cat, muffler, and tailpipe all stainless steel, from deckers in surrey

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.