BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, over the last year I've been banging my head against a wall. Do I sell the YJ and buy a 97 TJ that needs some work? Or do I keep my YJ (mint condition) and start to build it up? It almost dumb. I love the YJ, but the whole coil thing in the TJ seems so attractive, especially to the wife who is getting sick of the leaf ride.

I've found a TJ Sport that is a little rough around the edges (needs a new hood and grill and fenders, but I've got that covered for a cheap price). Ahhh.

If those coil conversions where cheaper I would consider those instead. Oh well.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
From the few tall TJs I've ridden in, I don't think they don't ride a whole lot better than a built-up YJ. Axle swaps and suspension maintenance will be much cheaper with the YJ if you stick with leaf springs.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't really think coils in the TJ will give you better offroad performance. I can't say about ride quality, since I can't even remember if I've actually had a ride in a TJ.
Like lars said, if you're planning to build your jeep up, you'll be swapping axles, and it's a lot easier and cheaper to do it if you're sticking with the YJ leaf springs.
Personally, I like a proper firm suspension on a vehicle over a soft one. They just handle better. That's why I got me a set of rancho 5000's shocks.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Depends on your definition of "build it up".
Near stock a TJ rides far better than a YJ, especially on washboard roads.
Fitting 33s on a TJ is easier - 2" spacers, long travel shocks, and a 1" body lift and you are good to go (except for gears and such that either would need).

If you are wanting to build a massive-tired flex monster then stick with your YJ. The money you save can go toward parts.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
102 Posts
TJ owners with flexy suspensions are gonna be an my a$$ for this one, but here I go (MR die hard YJ owner that I am )

Do not sway to the dark side of round headlites, remember the song "its hip to be square" that goes for owning a yj too, Square headlites is where its at brother.

Bouncing around in a leaf sprung vehicle while on a paved road is an adventure.

Stay with the YJ have fun, I will admit though TJ's are super flexy.

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
From my experience stick with a YJ. I test drove a few TJs and... sure they ride nicer, but the things feel and look like a damn car.

To be honest you are going to spend just as much on the TJ as you would on your YJ, but the buy price on the TJ is higher as it is newer.

I say keep on your YJ and fix anything that breaks.... youll save a ton of cash and have the same amount of fun without the stresses of a new vehicle...

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your goal is to have a super smooth cushy Jeep I think out of the box the TJ is it. But if you are planning on doing any mods I agree with Lars the modified TJ's I have been in differ very little if any than the modified YJ's in their ride quality. As far as offroad capability they are both only limited by your imagination and your budget (allowance from wife in my case).

If your looking for a cheap recipe to shoe horn 33's on, I can provide one (from the "Live and Learn" file) but I wouldn't recommend it. You will need to change axles if you want to do a proper build up even with 33's. You can do alot more with a properly built Jeep with 31's than a shoe horn job with 33's and you wont be seen as a liability to your buddies.

I would keep the YJ myself and throw on some offroad shocks and maybe take your spring packs apart and clean them up. Also make sure your shackle bolts aren't over tightened.

I own a YJ. I like TJ's. If it is about the most for your money go with the YJ. If it is about wanting something newer go with the TJ.

Good luck what ever you decide.

P.S. I would never buy the first model year of any vehicle even a Jeep.

------------------
Trailer Queens Suck!

Jeepin Offroad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.