BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is involved with letting Air Care know when you have done an engine swap so they will test the right engine? Or is it not worth it to say anything, just leave it alone and what they dont know wont kill them. And ICBC, do they need to know?

Any suggestions would be good

Thanks Steve

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went from gas to diesel. They didn't know anything about it until I showed up to have my test done. At that time it was as simple as stating "it's diesel now" and they ran the diesel test...
I don't think my ICBC papers reflect the change. I'm going to have to tell them the fuel is now diesel.

Did they run the test from the same year as the vw 1.6?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think they like swaps like that because it hurts the environment. . . Air Care is bullshit, lol.

I say do the swap but test whichever engine is more likely to pass, ICBC is unlikely to give you crap about it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That not an issue, the motor is already in. I am just trying to sort out what is going to be the easiest way for me to get insurance on it. If it too much hassle then it will be registered up country or on the island to avoid air care. And yes to second that air care is bull $hit.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You dont think i can like it is not physically possible? or as per what? I dont understand what you mean?

I think you should phone Aircare and ask them. I'm pretty sure you cannot replace the EFI with a carberator unless your vehicle was offered from the factory with a carberator for your 1995 model year.

For instance I cannot take a 1996 bronco and install a 1978 engine but I can stick a 1996 engine in a 1978 bronco. The first would be a downgrade to the pollution controls and the latter is an upgrade.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
If it too much hassle then it will be registered up country or on the island to avoid air care. And yes to second that air care is bull $hit.
you don't need to do that. you can insure it as territory "z" without aircare and with a surrey address and still be fully legal. call icbc directly and ask them about it, not an autoplan agent. call icbc themselves. a bunch of people are going to come on now with a "friend" that got screwed this way. i had territory "z" for years to avoid aircare and made icbc claims while insured this way with no problems. i did get questioned on it by icbc adjusters and told them it was to avoid aircare. it was not a problem.

you should be able to get it to pass though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Pre '98 vehicles don't matter what's been done, they don't look under the hood. All they care about is what comes out the tailpipe and if it has a cat on it if it's newer than 1988. '98 and newer they plug into the obd2 port and don't care what comes out of the tailpipe as they don't do an emmissions test on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.