BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 83 toy pickup 22r engine with no cat installed and i failed air care,now dose my truck need a cat and O2 senser to pass and it is missing on idel.and one more thing it only failed the idel test.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think that it's likely you'd pass aircare without a catalytic converter. You won't pass the idle test anyway. The reason that you passed the other tests and not the idle test is because when the engine is revved up you have full combustion... therefore there are less harmful emissions. The reason that they put catalytic converters in cars, (as I understand it anyway), is because of all the idling that cars do, i.e. traffic lights, rush hour, etc (I'm sure that that is not the only reason for a cat, but that's one of them). Basically, I think you're going to be S.O.L. for aircare until you throw in a cat. Then again.. I could be wrong.. I'm not an exhaust expert. :D

I don't know about the O2 Sensor, I imagine that it would definitely help in passing though.

Good luck

·
Registered
382 Posts
if the readings are *close* on the idle test you can sometimes squeak through by turning up the idle screw so the truck idles at a higher speed...
a few other 'tricks ' I have used in the past are thing like.

putting a piece of cardboard over the radiator for the drive to the test to heat up the engine better

slowly pouring a small amount of water (like a spray paint lid full) down the carburetor as the engine is running .. it really cleans out the combustion chambers.. do this and then replace the sparkplugs

running Methyl hydrate in the gas

I always remove the air filter for the test ( so there's still an filter housing but no filter inside)

The other big variable is the person driving your truck in the test itself...

As you can tell I TOTALLY LOVE AIRCARE:p :p :p and would be BUMMED OUT:D if it ceased to exist....

·
Registered
802 Posts
You don't have an oxygen sensor; they're only for EFI engines.
You don't need a cat to pass (88 and older) BUT environmentally it's a good idea to have one.
You said your engine is missing at idle; I'd fix that first, and give it a tune-up. Take it to a place that can check the carb and have them adjust it for optimum AirCare readings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.