BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i need air endorcement for my class 5 for and upcoming job. what is the fastest, cheapest, and bestest way to aquire this.

thanks.

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
i believe it;s a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday course and im not sure but you do the practical test at valley and then do a written test at motor branch. Best to get the Air brake manual from ICBC website and read it before going.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Yup mine was a 2 day course through North Shore Driving School . That was 16 years ago. It's a no brainer sass. The hardest part was remembering in what order to do the in cab air pre trip.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
Yup mine was a 2 day course through North Shore Driving School . That was 16 years ago. It's a no brainer sass. The hardest part was remembering in what order to do the in cab air pre trip.
Same but 6 years ago through North Shore in Bby. Sat and Sun - 8-4 in the classroom. After Sunday's class, 5-7:30 (depending on how many need it), you do a pre-trip. Once you pass, they give you a form/certificate. You bring it in to the MVB and they change your license (can't remember if there's a fee).

BTW the stuff you do in the classroom is soooooooooo mind-numbingly boring, you'll want to stab yourself in the eye (several times), with a turd infested needle, just to stay awake....

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Did you want to borrow my turd infested needle Sass, or do you have your own?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That's funny cause at the time of taking the class, stabbing myself in the eye (several times), with a turd infested needle, just to stay awake.... crossed my mind too.:laugh

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks again for all the input. just registered with valley driving school for a weekend coarse in two weeks. for anyone that is interested in this, they have weekend coarses every wheekend at their various locations. it takes two days and total price is $200.

ps mike i will call you regarding the turd infested needle next week if i cant find my own.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Is the course really that bad?? Im taking the commercial transport mechanic course at BCIT this summer and air brakes is part of the course and we get our endorsement through the course..

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Is the course really that bad?? Im taking the commercial transport mechanic course at BCIT this summer and air brakes is part of the course and we get our endorsement through the course..
The instructor is required to go through set course material as dictated by ICBC. So yes it can be boring. It really depends on the class you're in and the instructor. My class was fairly intelligent and not a lot of dumb questions got asked (aside from mine of course :clown). I can't say it was fun but I learned a bunch and feel much better about playing with the air brakes and the related bits than I did before the course.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Air brakes isnt that boring is it? not for mechanics anyways! when I did my CT level 1 at VCC a good portion of it was airbrakes, about 50% or more. I didnt find it boring at all, as it relates to my job of fixing air brake equipped vehicles, not just some endorsement on my license and a bunch of useless information need to drive a truck. VCC and BCIT air brake theory/shop work wont be just sitting at a desk listening to notes. At vcc they had us hook up a complete air brake system using air line quick connects. you had to connect all the air lines to the correct ports and explain to the instructor what the function of each valve is, and what each port of the valve you hook up does to pass. All the components were hung up on a board, and you connect the air lines. I think bcit does the samething. the knowledge you gain as a mechanic is far more interesting than what you will learn in a 2 day air brake course. Its alot more interesting when its not just notes and papers, although there is classroom and tests of course. I still dont have my air brake license, but when i do it(8 hour course and test in alberta) i will sleep through the class then ace the exam.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.