BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any tricks to help a 95 yj p[ass aircare. I think I need a new cat but I don't have the money for one. ok I don't know how much they cost but I want to try and crack the system. SO if anyone has some ideas maybe changing the timeing or other such things let me know. Thanks

------------------
I am poor I am hungry so please throw me a bone

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Try making sure the engine is warmed up and fully inflat your tires (dont ask me why)

------------------
92 yj 2 inch body lift,lift shackles, 2.5 rancho lift springs running on 33's

·
Registered
66 Posts
You could try GTP (gauranteed to pass) You can pick it up at Cambodian tire. Fill up with Mohawk 94 octane wheat gas. You could also try adding some methol hydrate(gas line antifreeze) to your gas. Give your Jeep a tune up, new spark plugs, cap, rotor, Air filter. Also change the oil, I've heard of people failing then changing their oil and passing. Thats about all I can think of other than putting a new cat on, or cutting big holes in the top of your exaust pipe. Hope that helps.

------------------
88 XJ "rollin in my 4.0 with the window down so my hair can blow."
www.teamrush.web.com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
don't use methol hydrate unless you feel like replacing your injectors. (if an engine is carborated then do the methol trick)

- change your plugs
- change your oil (use full synthetic if you have the $)
- fill with 94 octane gas
- put in GTP
- run the thing up and down freeway to get nice and hot

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
just my 2 cents,, its all cat,, thats the biggie.. u can get a universal cat for about 100 from Deckers Auto

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by kmac:
just my 2 cents,, its all cat,, thats the biggie.. u can get a universal cat for about 100 from Deckers Auto

Well I passed for 4 years without a cat. I just hollowed mine out and ran straight pipe for the longest time. Last year was the only time I failed, barely, becasue my O2 sensor was shot.

4.0L are very good engines and it takes a lot zero maintance to make them fail.

One thing I heard was that you shouldnt run the highest octane as possible because its a lot tougher to burn thouroghly and there by having increased emissions. But it does burn with more power, I guess thats the trade off.

I usually just put in medium octane and an injector cleaner and passed with no problems.

But this year and future years I dont have to go thru anymore as I'm over the GVW limit and there be giving me a exemption. Man I love to work the system

Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by Matt989:
Anyone know any tricks to help a 95 yj p[ass aircare. I think I need a new cat but I don't have the money for one. ok I don't know how much they cost but I want to try and crack the system. SO if anyone has some ideas maybe changing the timeing or other such things let me know. Thanks
I have used methyl hydrate in injected cars butlike its already been mentioned, it could ruin your injectors. The alcohol basically takes away all of the lubrication from the injector. I have'nt ruined any yet, knock on wood. If you have access to a DVOM with a temp probe on it, measure the temp before the cat and then after the cat. If its working, it should be a lot hotter at the back side .
If you do need a cat, there are two types that are aftermarket. One is cheap, about 250 installed at a Midas or budget, the other is a bit bigger and of course more expensive, but worth the money because it will last you a lot longer. I've had more sucess with the bigger of the two and you'll find that you won't be having cat problems in a year from now. That one is about 450 roughly. good luck!

------------------
90 YJ, W.W.O.R.T. in house mechanic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts