BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben Olsen, I know Chris Olsen answers my stuff all the time, so heer is one I need Ben for.
What are all the components I would need for a front airbag system. My dads a heavy duty mechanic/logging truck driver, so he said he could get all the parts and hook most of them up. So could i get the list of parts? List it hear or e-mail me @ [email protected]
Thanks for any assistance u can give me.

------------------
81 and 82 broncos,
Well, u need any stock parts, u can have em cheap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Bronco Buster sorry for the glib answer but all you really need is bags, air lines,valves and a source of compressed air.
as far as what bags to use it really depends on how much room you have and how much travel you need ( travel depends on where you mount them ) the cool thing is that pretty much all air bags will handle MUCH more weight than any coil or leaf spring ( the bags I'm using will handle 4000lbs each!! ) my bags are firestone/triangle style 20 ( look for lift bags from drop down kicker/braking axles from heavy lift trailers )air lines can be anything from cheap 1/4" air hose from home depot to air brake line / copper line with compression fittings depends on how much$$$$ you want to spend just make sure you route it away from hot exhaust pipes ( trust me it's no fun when you've popped a leak on the freeway...)
the valving system should be able to allow the bags to transfer air from one side to another ( mo travel this way ) while also being able to inflate/deflate individual bags and separate them for street driving ( the only way to safely drive on the street without the sway being completely wacky) and for a source of compressed air . electric/engine driven compressors have been available for a long time ( until recently I was using an air shock compressor from a caddilac Eldorado , not too fast but cheap and reliable) any other Questions?

------------------
only we make "the whistling sound" www.OTTindustries.com

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea one more, What should i use to let air out, does it need to release fast or slow? BUt basically it sounds just like settin them up in our logging truck. Thanks a bunch.

Matt

------------------
81 and 82 broncos,
Well, u need any stock parts, u can have em cheap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well my own personal air system will be undergoing revisions soon . but right now it's just a valve and a 1/4" air line that dumps between the seats .. if you want to go crazy with the air stuff ( and please forgive me for mentioning this ) pick up a copy of "lowrider trucks" or "sport trucks " magazine ( just don't let anyone see you readin it...) these guys have some trick solenoid valving stuff that's wayyy too rich for my blood but is good to steal ideas from... they even have air diagrams sometimes after all just reverse the flow and you're pumping up instead of slamming ( why does anybody do this??)

------------------
only we make "the whistling sound" www.OTTindustries.com

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by michael:
{sounds like you manually fill bags with no level valve provision, correct?}
Yes I just equalize side to side and lock them off
{ how many psi do you run on road in bags? }
around 25 or so
{time to go digging i guess.}
that's what I did ... just keep the valving as simple as possible,