BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
attention all 4x4ers if you live in the poco area and surrounding area better read the tri-city news on front page!!!!
we will no longer have a great place to wheel if they shut eagle mountain down and make a park out of it.. i'm sending the story via email to wil and maybe he can put it up for all to read..

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
and it's never let me down EVER
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all i know is that i'm fight madddddd because i grew up in poco and spent most of my younger years riding my dirt bike up there and now that i'm older i move on to better toy and now look i might as well learn to fly a kite and run around with sandles on.. how can we fight the city and if anyone knows how and needs help i will be the first truck parked in the city building.. this is why we need to clean up after ourselves eh!!!!!! catch those that dump and strip truck and cars up there i don't have the money or the time to goto alberta to do my wheeling

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
and it's never let me down EVER
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
sounds to me like they are blaming us for the torched cars and garbage up there.
. They really should open their eyes and see that we are the ones pulling the torched cars out and picking up all the garbage. Next tie we go up for a cleanup run(if it's still open) we should call a news paper out to write up a story or something.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now THAT is a good idea!

Thebest way to fight bad media coverage is with good coverage. The fact is as a community, we are following in the footsteps of every other activity which makes BC a great and unique place to live. One by one those who would make BC one great big wilderness with no humans in it are attacking what they deem unacceptable. They know how to use the media, but we, the quiet, go-about-our-business-and clean-up-in-silence people end up getting screwed because we don't want attention. Unfortunately, if we want to keep what is our instead of getting dictated to, we need to become as organized as those who oppose us. Things like press releases, spokespersons, and media coverage must become part of our vernacular if we hope to avoid the fate of other groups which have been eliminated or "phased out".

Rant complete.

------------------
Cheapass Cherokee Boy

·
Registered
376 Posts
We need to find a reporter that will look at both sides of the issue and show the good work we do. Maybe someone should point out that they used to steal cars and torch them were they found them - in underground parking lots. The fires from these cars took out two apartment buildings in Rich. a few years back. Theives will steal vehicles and dump them closing all the woods will only mean they must dump them in our neighbourhoods. The fires in the woods are the symptom not the problem, we need to attack the thieves and there will be no fires to worry about!

We need to be more vigilant in reporting suspcious activities and record any info for later investigation. We need to be very mindful of our impact on the enviroument. We need people to realise that we value the woods as much as they do.

Man this boils me to no end. The time to act is now! What is your opinion Skidmark? If we tried to involve the Police would they respond? I mean being in the woods and all would they come out/up and investigate suspicious activities? Maybe we should get together with the community Police group in Coquitlum and see if something can be done.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
376 Posts
And another thing

Maybe next year we should do the Toy run in Coquitlum. This event would raise awareness of how charitable we are and that we are good members of the community. What do you think? I really hate to see the Ridge go without a fight.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its really frustrating for them to say that
Shutting down the Eagle Mountain access to 4x4 clubs is totally irresponsible" "
because they[4x4 clubs] will just find a place in northeast coquitlam"
Seems to me like they need to be educated to the fact that it is the 4x4 clubs and the 4WDABC that take care of places like Eagle Ridge and do more for the city than the residents of the plateau that dump their garbage there.

[This message has been edited by apeman (edited November 20, 2001).]

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
When we were there for the last clean up a reporter came out but didn't bother sticking around long enough to see how much crap was being hauled off the mountain. Apparently she had something more "important" to do elsewhere.

I agree with Tarzan, we definitely need to find a reporter that will look at both sides of the issue. Not just some chump that is going to listen to people in the area wanting Eagle closed. It would be a bloody shame to see it getting shut down after all the effort people have been putting in to keeping the area open to 4x4's.

------------------
Leo
Herd of Turtles 4WD Society
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Does anyone know a reporter that likes to go 4x4ing?

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about bringing along some members of city council or coquitlam MLA's for a run? So they can see responsible wheelers in action.

It is crown land and we have a right to access it. We need to set a positive image in the minds of those who would be making a decision.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
I think getting TV reporters to come out would give us responsible wheelers even more exposure...not just in community newspapers.

------------------
Leo
Herd of Turtles 4WD Society
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
David Kincaid is a wheeler. I've chatted with him many times about different trips. I did invite him to attend the big Blue Mountain protest a couple years ago (?) but he didn't attend.

I could certainly touch base with him again but I also put Marker in touch with him - if you are reading this Marker, what did he have to say about the Blue Mountain thing? Did you get the impression that he might take interest in doing a story?

Dave.

Originally posted by Jarett:
Does anyone know a reporter that likes to go 4x4ing?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder what if the government would set up something like, Oregon has. Where every two years or so you renew a 4x4 permit for about $20. I mean, I know I'd pay $20 for 2 years of wheeling. They can set aside some area's for 4x4ing. Then we can tell them that if we keep it clean they can keep the permit money. I mean why not? If they're going to make some money from it they will probably jump right on in.

------------------
89' Tracker

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well, we all knew this was coming. We have to get letters off to Victoria, they have the final say if it becomes a park or not. It would be nice to get some press on our side but its hard to disspute the facts that stolen cars are dumped and burned up there, all the good that is done is overshadowed by the acts of those f*ckers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We need to begin to organize another clean up very soon. This action could go through very soon and Eagle could be closed within a matter of months. I say we find some reporters (I say some because most of them will not care about us at all), take some of our own pictures, then go do the clean up and write letters to every major newspaper around. We need to begin now.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts