BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying an 85 K5 blazer on monday and i need to know a couple of things? The truck has all the available options pwr everything, and it has a rebuilt 305(Gas) and posi rear end. How do I tell if it has a 205 transfer case? How bad is a 203? I'm planning on installing a 3in body lift and the pro comp complete 4in susp kit including transfer case drop, should i expect any problems? I'm also putting a set of headers on it with 2.5 in exhaust and flowmaster mufflers, will i really notice the hp? How much will i notice the new msd ignition, coil, and 9mm wires? with 7in combined lift and brand new 35in MT/R's will i need to do any fender trimming? How hard is it to convert from auto to manual hubs and how do i do so? Does this price sound good? Total cost for 4in susp(including aftermarket steering arm, shocks, and transfer drop kit) and 3in body, 4 15x10 AR Baja polished wheels, 4 35x12.50r15 MT/R's, dual pro comp steering stabolizer, pro runner bumper light bar and 4 pro comp lights installed at $3100? Thanks for any info, P.S. I'm sponsored by Fountain Tire in kamloops so this is all wholesale, it sounds good to me, but I'm not to sure on what i should be paying when it comes to chevs, my old truck was a Toy.

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio. Working on finding another toy to build.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, is the 208 chain or gear driven should i replace it? its a 4spd auto

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
600 Posts
Check what gears you got in it; 35's with highway gears are gonna be no fun at all with a 305 in a big Blazer.

You might want to consider swapping out that 10bolt rear end if you plan on doing heavy off-roading...

And that G80 posi you got in the 10bolt rearend can and will probably grenade on you if you wheel hard with it...

You should have plenty of clearance for 35's with a 7 inch lift on there.

Headers and a 2.5" exhaust should give you a bit more top end power, and the MSD ignition will give you a bit more, and probably some more MPG. To get the most out of those headers and exhaust your gonna want to put a free flowing intake on there.

The 208 is a chaindrive t-case, and swapping to manual locking hubs is pretty easy I believe.

Hope that helps some; good luck with the Chevy!!! No matter how many problems pop up with it, its still better than driving a phord.

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot, i was planning on replacing the 208 for a 205 if it wasn't one, and i'm getting an edelbrock aluminum high rise intake so that's good info for me from the sounds of it. what ratio gears should i replace the stockers with and as far as my wheeling goes it's usually trails, and rocks, i'm really not into mud, so i should probably swap in a detroit too i guess, but should i just wait until the stock posi explodes?? Thanks for the replies

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
391 Posts
The np208 has a lower low range than an np205 and its not that bad of a tcase, unless your doing some serious thrashing your np208 should hold up fine. I'd wait until it breaks(if it breaks)before swapping it out, you'll also need to buy a fairly pricey adapter to mount up an np205 to your 700r4, not to mention possible driveshaft mods. Food for thought.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh, and one more thing as beaterchevy suggested, dont bother regearing or locking your 10bolt, I did that and it was a complete waste of money. Swap in a FF14bolt, the lockers are cheaper than the 10bolt, gearings about the same cost, they're a dime a dozen and nearly indestructable. The swap should be a bolt in affair. Install it and forget about it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well, the ratios that I can think of that might have came in those axles are 3.08 and 3.73 with something in between possibly... If you have 3.73's you shouldn't be too bad driving on the street with 35's but your overdrive might not get much use.. I believe if you swap in 4.10's that should put you back to close to stock ratios and you'll get use out of your overdrive..

As for the type of wheeling you're doing the 700r4 has a decent 1st gear ratio (much better than the turbo 350/400 ratios) and the 208 does have better reduction than the 205 so you should be alright on the rocks and trails....

I guess overall the best recomendation I could give you is to first check what gears you got... and then after some wheeling with the 35's on it decide if you feel it necassary to re-gear....

If you go out wheeling hard you might just start munching that 10bolt rear and you would have wasted all that money on new gears for nothing...

my .02

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, i guess i'll continue on with the winter project and worry about the rest of the drivetrain and what not until it's lifted and the motor is done

------------------

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought my 82 jimmy,it was fully loaded -trailor package,it came with 4:10. -208 have and had no problems with it.
-700R4 junk it unless you its from jet.(blew up 2 in 8 months)
-auto hubs scrap them,manual hubs easy to install.
-305 not enough power for mud with 35", but if you stay just rock it will give you enough power for now.if it goes,put in a big block.
-10 bolt diffs good till you go extream.
-other then that your looking to buy one excllent 4 wheeler,and done right will have unbelivable flex.

------------------
Northern Extream 4x4 Club
82 F/S jimmy w/454 big block
always get me on ch 37
"GO BIG OR GO HOME"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, i hate the mud, it's not fun anymore, i'm really starting to like the trails and rocks around my country. sounds like i'm doin good

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts