BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am lookin at a $900 jeep honcho pick up. are these any good for bush trucks? easy to lift? parts available or easy to swap with something? all help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know what parts availabilty is like,but its a leaf sprung straight axle so its very easy to lift.Definately one of the top ten cool trucks of all time ,at least in my book.My friend used to have one,the same year as the one in Twister.It had a 6 inch lift ,33s and a very healthy 401.Cool truck,went like hell.The gas bills killed him.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this honcho is a "levis" edition with a 360 in er, other then speed are these things any good for the hills? ie do they break easy??

·
Registered
192 Posts

Who cares about anything else. For $900, I want to be 'Mucho Macho'

(You need to put your flattracker in the back too. You do have a 441 Victor Special, right?)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
there short and fat meaning pretty damn stable. I havn't dont much wheeling with my J truck yet but it sure is nice to drive. feels very comfertable hauling ass on gravel. good luck breaking it in stock form, big tires trying to do stupid stuff then ya just like anything you will brake it.

front axle will be a Dana 44 and rear should be a Dana 20 or possible Dana 60

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Parnelli_001 said:
this honcho is a "levis" edition with a 360 in er, other then speed are these things any good for the hills? ie do they break easy??
The Honcho uses standard Detroit parts so I don't see any areas where you'd need to be concerned about its durability.

If it has Quadratrac (can't remember if it was available on the pickups) then you might want to switch to a part-time case. But that's all.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Jump on it Parnelli! Those trucks are sweet, and hell, you're getting it for cheaper than I paid for a single axle ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Parnelli, My grandfather had one when I was a kid. If I remember correctly I think the rig was heavy but solid.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i'll give em a call today. thanks for the advice guys and yeah it is quadratrac unfortunately!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took a really good look at her today. she has leafs with ?revolver? shackles, almost looks like a dana 60 rear, 44 front, it is the j 10 levis ed. 360 purrs BUT apparently there are 4 bolts on the steering column (chev) and they are loose... causing tilt in the steering or something? just what he told me. The exhaust is shot all to hell... double pipe out the rear... rusted so it doesnt even make it out the rear (i need your help on that killerbugs) and its an AUTO!!!!! :( if the tranny is gone, how much $ to grab a new one? is there anything standard i can swap into it? plz help ASAP as i am gonna have it by monday i hope.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You are sure the auto gone. You may like it. I wish I had auto again. My suburban had auto and I liked it alot. Freed up one hand for Beer.:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
So I'm thinking about your new rig. Steering no problem. Rear box has to go. We rip it off to lighten the load. We can get at the running gear then.We now have a baha truck. Small fabbing and cool rig. Where are you keeping this rig when your at school? If your not sure you can give me a call.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey killer, sounds like a totally fun plan buddy, i'll probably pick er up tomorrow after a test run. if the auto tranny isnt gonna blow up as soon as i buy it... i guess i'll buy it :******* it might be a little heavy for a baja truck as she is the REAL steel, but it could have the look!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh and about storage, i am hoping the OUC campus will allow somthing that ugly in the shop... but ya never know. i'll shoot ya an email soon if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a pretty big drive way. If you want I sweet talk the wife and maybe you could have a corner. As long as it dosen't make a mess of the driveway. Considering you are going to be working on it. Just a idea right now.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey thanks killer, that would be great! it'll probably be in the shop most of the time its being worked on so you dont have to worry about messes on the driveway. I'll shoot ya an email later buddy.
As for the truck, i heard it has an offset axle?? also that the quadratrac doesnt have a low range option on it. still good for off road purpose?? how easy is it to throw in a t-case with part time 4x4 and a low range gear? how much moola is a person looking at?

·
Registered
78 Posts
how much you got????

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If it's QuadraTrac, the rear axle is probably using an offset rear diff. It might have low range...I know some did. In fact, Mark Wade from Washington had a QuadraTrac tcase in his YJ, along with the offset axles. And he definitely had low range.

I only suggested swapping it out 'cuz it's not as common as some other tcases. I'm not saying it's a bad tcase.

As for the tranny, it is probably a TH400. At least that's MY guess. Either that or a TF727.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup, larry your right, its a TH400, i dont know about low range but it does have a switch to lock the quadratrac, using vacuum lines. the lines arent hooked up though, so he says. maybe i will need to do a little more then hook them up but what else could be gone on a vacuum line? the 360 runs great... nice to have some jeep power! as for a lift, what should i do? swap springs around or put blocks on? i am totally new to the whole sfa scene as well as leaf springs!:confused2

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok Lets see it . Hearing lots but not seeing it yet..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts