BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It always seems to happen right after a big expense when you have the least amount of money! On saterday I paid my insurance which left me with not too much money. On sunday, as always, I went 4x4'n. I went to the local mud pit and had a blast all day. I've never had a problem there before and was expecting nothing different. Later that night when I went out, my trucks power steering pump started sounding a bit funny and my truck started miss firing. I didn't have time to do anything by the time I got home so I left it. The miss firing seems to have worked itself out somehow, but my steering got really bad on the way home. My pump is leaking a lot of fluid out the bottom now and I'm gonna be screwed if I can't find out how to fix it really fast! Just wanted to vent!!

------------------
----------------
Crack
92 Ranger 6" lift 31s
Slamming the gas can get you over almost anything, the question is, can you keep going after

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yah, anyone know how hard it is to replace the seal on the bottom of the power steering pump?

------------------
----------------
Crack
92 Ranger 6" lift 31s
Slamming the gas can get you over almost anything, the question is, can you keep going after

·
Registered
302 Posts
Why not just get a pump off an f150 (they should be the same pump just different ratings ie the fullsize pump will be stronger) it'll probably be longer lasting with big tires than the stock ranger one. should be a standard ford CII type pump. I have a Book that details a rebuild but no scanner .. sorry
FYI - it's the Chilton's Truck and Van (79 - 86) annual (big thick thing black cover, can get it at can tire, walsmart, etc ... the newer ones don't have as good a unit repair section, this one has trans, tcase, steering boxes and pumps, etc .. very good ref material. oh and they are usually only around $24.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If it sounds funny...ie whining loud, then its wrecked...if you run it too low on fluid once thats it the pump is wrecked....I just changed mine 3 weeks ago on my 95 F150...bought a rebuilt pump from DJ's in surrey and used canadian tires loan a tool program for the power steering pump pulley puller.....its an easy job

------------------
James King
95 F150 4"lift on 33's..
4.10's Auburn Posi
3" no cats exhaust...MSD
Surrey B.C.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pump was very low on fluid, but I filled it up and it seems to be fine(except for the leak of course). I'm going down to my friends shop tomorrow so he can help me with it, but I'm definatly looking at getting an F150's pump for it. Thanks!! Now I gotta go wash it in the rain :|

------------------
----------------
Crack
92 Ranger 6" lift 31s

[This message has been edited by Crack (edited October 30, 2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts