BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know, am I asking too much for my CJ?? I'm asking $3500 and everybody I talk to is gettig really beligerent because they have seen 80's CJ's cheaper. I wanted to buy an 80's CJ when I first started looking for a jeep but every single one I looked at was rusted out or the body was coming apart from the frame. So, am I dreaming, is this too much???? People call about it then get really rude when I tell them how much?????

I don't get it?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's in actually good shape, especially for being a 1969. There is only some rust on the front passenger fender (they all seem to get it there). Runs great, drives great and is a unique vehicle what with being shorter and wider than all the other CJ's out there. The top is shot though and I have spent lots of $$$$$ on power steering for it. I think I'm being reasonable but maybe I'm not, any thoughts????

·
Registered
13 Posts
I havent seen your jeep, but it sounds like your asking a reasonable price. You always get the tire kickers who are just looking to get a good deal, someone who is really interested in it will pay close if not all of what you're asking.
I had a couple of offers on my 52 for less than $1000 and one even for $500, its not in the best shape however it does run, has v6, power steering, 35's and an excellent frame with very little rust on the body, I've seen stock ones not running, rusted out for over $2000. I just decided it wasn't worth selling so I'm gonna build it instead.
Just stay firm on your price and a serious buyer will come around and pay what you're asking, it just takes longer.
Its also a lot more difficult to sell older vehicles cause most people want it to be in perfect shape out of the box.

[This message has been edited by rodc (edited March 10, 2002).]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Paul, hang tough guy. Anyone that get's rude when you tell them the price, is not the person you want to deal with anyway.

If it's clean enough, you'll get your price eventually. If it's scabby then yes they go for lower quite regularly. But from what you said it's running and looking good so shouldn't be a prob.

My .02
Rob

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had some people say the same thing when I was thinking about selling my 5. They don't understand that you get what you pay for and if you cheap out and expect to get a clean original bodied CJ with minimal rust for less than $3000 you are going to end up with a big old piece of Cj Swiss cheese. It sounds to me like you have a petty sweet deal going on for someone looking to buy a CJ. There aren't a lot of Cj5's around anymore. I'd would highly suggest you contact Jeep Thrills and tell them what you have. He does buy vehicles and many, many people come to him to buy vehicles. He's a really nice guy and would probably have some advice on what directions to take. It's worth a try 604-465-5559. Summer's coming soon. Jeeps sell like hotcakes in the summer.

------------------
80 Cj5, Met.Grey,360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ Blue6/6.5" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heh Man! Sounds like a great set of wheels! I have had unreal luck on ebay as the americans love all Jeeps especially early cj's! there are jeeps sellng for 2000usd, that are horrible , and to list it only costs $40, and it will most likely sell!Take your time and it will come to you!~

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I was getting pretty frustrated. Just really need a passenger vehicle so I wanted to sell it quick, if I have to wait, I'll wait, I'm not going to drop the price, it's worth it I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Buddy, don't lower your price. CJs are becoming more and more rare and at the same time more desireable. What other vehicle can you wrench on yourself, get out and lock in the hubs, and go anywhere.....and all for only $3500. If I were you I would do all that I could to keep it. Even if you just park it and buy something else. Nowadays, $3500 is nothing. I know from experience that the amount I got for some of my vehicles (and I have had a few) I would have been better off just keeping some of them.

Originally posted by CJPaul:
I don't know, am I asking too much for my CJ?? I'm asking $3500 and everybody I talk to is gettig really beligerent because they have seen 80's CJ's cheaper. I wanted to buy an 80's CJ when I first started looking for a jeep but every single one I looked at was rusted out or the body was coming apart from the frame. So, am I dreaming, is this too much???? People call about it then get really rude when I tell them how much?????

I don't get it?!

[This message has been edited by black444bhj (edited March 11, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If I could have found a solid CJ for that price I'd have bought it instead of my TJ.
There's a lot of jerks who phone every person selling a vehicle and then act pissed at the price just to see if they can sucker you into selling it way cheaper. Half the time they are used car dealers who tune the engine, slap a cheap coat of paint on, and sell the vehicle for twice what they paid.
Ignore them and wait for someone who really wants it.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
128 Posts
Paul,

Your CJ is awesome - do not lower the price.
Sure it is older and has some rust, but it is a USED vehicle!

I would do as the others have suggested.
Hang tight on it, advertise it if you want to in the buy sell etc. - and you will find a buyer who appreciates it for what it is.

The people that are calling you and getting mad about the price think it is an old vehicle... they obviously have no 4x4 experience and think its a beater (even when you explain stuff to them they are amatuers), or are like us on bc4x4 and want everything free!!!

Best of luck on the sale!!

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Paul

Okay heres some advice
in the even that an ignorant person who was rude to you because of your asking price should happen to return tell them that the price for them has gone up to 4000.

I hate hecklers when the price is already good and low.
Stick in there bro it will come to you.

Jason

------------------
IF GOD NEVER CHASED MAN OUTTA THE GARDEN OF EDEN THE GREENIES WOULD HAVE
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts