BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am think about upgrading my rear axle in my 82 cj7. The problem is I can't decide what to do.

Considering the AMC M20
But would need new axles,gears,truss,locker
Lots of stuff but i already have this axle.

Or ford 8.8 out of explorer
Would need a locker,mounting under jeep and brake line consideration, also front diff gears would need changing.

New axle means work but the 8.8 has disc brakes and could be found with better gears than i have now.

My jeep has a spring over and i plan on running 35" tires.
Power is via a 4.2.

Any way I am looking for advice and info about AMC M20 upgrades and/or Ford 8.8 installs in a jeep.

Also wondering about the weight of these two beasts.:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Explorer 8.8 uses a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (same as a YJ).

Your CJ is 5 on 5.5.

If you are going to change the bolt pattern you should do the front as well.

Your Jeep is also narrow track isn't it?

If you are going to change the bolt pattern, and go wider, I'd suggest using narrow track Cherokee AMC Model 20 rear (already has one peice shafts), and a passenger side drop Dana 44. I just sold a set for $300. They aren't hard to find.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
82 is the first year wide track( I think), my jeep is wide track.

Yes I know about the bolt pattern issue.And plan on changing the front diff later.

The 8.8 is not much wider than a wide track 20 is it?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
what about a toyota 8":D 2wd has the same bolt pattern. and gears are 390. 430. 437.410. 456. 488. 529. 571

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How strong are the toyota 8" and what width are they.

That sound good that the bolt pattern works but they are not disc are they.

Plus those exloper rear ends seem comon.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
no disc, width is 55", 85 and older. 58" 86 and newer. and some tacomas have an e locker and are 60" wide but im not positive on the 2wd years being the same as the 4wd ones that i posted. and for 35's it will be fine, some people even run 44's on them, but lots of people think that around 38's are max

price for 2wd rear end with no third probably around 50 bux, and a 4:10 third which is stock will run from 40$ to 100$ but if u do go this route find someone who has done it to make sure the axles are the same and the thirds are interchangeable in the rear ends because the 2wd ones use a 7.5"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts