BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at several diffs for my xj.I have a 35c and want something a bit tougher.can't find a 44 so I will go with a 35 or 8.25. any knowledgable input appreciated.favorites? experiences?thanks,scott

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
ScottH said:
I am currently looking at several diffs for my xj.I have a 35c and want something a bit tougher.can't find a 44 so I will go with a 35 or 8.25. any knowledgable input appreciated.favorites? experiences?thanks,scott
I wouldn't go through the trouble of swapping in a D35 if you already have a D35C. I would guess that the 8.25 is gonna cost you about the same as a Ford 8.8 so I'd probably look for an 8.8 (with disc brakes) first.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cost

well,with a 35 I have no c-clip worries.pro-truck in abbotsford has an 8.8 with discs,locked with 4:10's for $1500.00. my favorite jeep wrecker in m.r. has an 8.25 drum to drum locked with 4:10's for only $550.00 and no mods required.I have located several 35's that are locked with 4:10's for a bit cheaper yet.can't find a 44 for less than 700.00 us.so I guess my real question is,which is stronger? 35 or 8.25?

·
Registered
149 Posts
The D35 is P.O.S. Whether is a 35C, 35, 35Z, X or whatever letter of the alphabet you wanna tack onto it :)
Seriously though, if you're upgrading an axle, and end up dana 35 (no matter whether it's c-clip or not), you haven't really upgraded much in my opinion. If you're gonna go through the trouble, get the 8.8.
Also, are you SURE you have the c-clip? I recall seeing 35C cast on my non C-clip d35 in my YJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
I guess my real question is,which is stronger? 35 or 8.25?

The specs speak for them self;
The Dana 35 has a 7.4375 inch ring gear diameter.
The Dodge 8.25 has a 8.25 inch ring gear diameter.
The Ford 8.8 has a 8.8 inch ring gear diameter.
The Ford 9 inch has a 9 inch ring gear diameter. And an extra bearing on the pinion for extra strength. I heard from some tow truck dude that if the 9 inch is marked with an "N" that means that it is nodular or something and has an additional bearing.

Bigger is stronger. But if you go too big you will drag your pumkin unless you are going with BIG BIG rubber.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
MuddyJeep said:
Quote:
The Ford 9 inch has a 9 inch ring gear diameter. And an extra bearing on the pinion for extra strength.
Doesn't the 9" need that extra bearing because the pinion shaft is so long (due to the fact that it is mounted so low, it needs to be longer to reach the ring gear).

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Re: cost

ScottH said:
well,with a 35 I have no c-clip worries.pro-truck in abbotsford has an 8.8 with discs,locked with 4:10's for $1500.00. my favorite jeep wrecker in m.r. has an 8.25 drum to drum locked with 4:10's for only $550.00 and no mods required.I have located several 35's that are locked with 4:10's for a bit cheaper yet.can't find a 44 for less than 700.00 us.so I guess my real question is,which is stronger? 35 or 8.25?
When you say "locked," do you mean locker or limited slip? If you're finding several that are "locked," I am guessing they are limited slips...Trac Loc limited slips. I would not pay extra for that feature; they're not very effective.

$1500 for an 8.8 is nuts. I've seen them for under $1000 so you just need to keep looking.

The 8.25 will be stronger than any of the D35's, btw. Haven't heard of any reports of unusually risk of breakage with the 8.25.

Look around a bit more for an 8.8, though. Like I said, if you can find one for about the same price as the 8.25, you might as well go for the bigger axle.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't even look at a 35. From reading posts and so on from here and JU, i think you'll find the D35 is the weakest, then 8.25, followed by a D44, then an 8.8 and then 9". The 44 and 8.8 are close. But i wouldn't waste my time on the D35, no matter what gears or locker is in it.
Jordan

·
Registered
108 Posts
sorry to jump in but since i'm about to stick an 8.25 (found it cheaper than i could fix the 35c) in my xj. are parts for it common at wreckers and are upgrade parts easy tofind. btw in 35c the ''c'' stands for custom ie. shipped incomplete from spicer to jeep

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also, are you SURE you have the c-clip? I recall seeing 35C cast on my non C-clip d35 in my YJ [/B][/QUOTE]

All Dana 35's are 35C. The c stands for "custom"...not for c-clip. Whether you have a c-clip or not depends a great deal upon the year of the axle.

While I agree an upgrade to a non c-clip d35c is of limited value, it does mean that you will still be able to drive (as your axle will remain in place) if you snap an axle...and this could save you a lot of trouble in itself.

Just my .03c worth.....

Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts