BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anybody has done it or knows somebody who did it any help would be great.

------------------
"WHAT!"
--Stone Cold

·
Registered
102 Posts
Why? If *I* EVER put a smallblock into an XJ I would modify the uniframe and put a REAL frame under it...so as to handle the torque/stress/weight of a smallblock and tranny...

I suppose it would be worth trying if you HAD the engine kicking around...as well as a XJ to play with...

But I ask again...why?

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my engine is getting old and I can get a small block for really cheap. I know advanced adaptors sells kits for the xj? Just curious if anybody here had the setup and if its worth it???

------------------
"WHAT!"
--Stone Cold

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wouldn't go through the hassle of it. You'd have to strengthen the body, basically put a all new drivetrain under it and so on. Why don't you pick up the small block and then turn around and sell it and buy a newer 4.0L HO or a 4.3L V6. Those are easier swaps, and you wouldn't have to change your drivetrain.

------------------
WANTED:
33x12.50MT's, 4.5"+ shocks and lower control arms, a cheap 12" sub, and a cheap amp

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew it was some work. I was just curious thats all.

------------------
"WHAT!"
--Stone Cold

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Originally posted by XJ_Junkie II:
I knew it was some work. I was just curious thats all.
Don't let them beat you down. If I was driving an older (pre-HO) 6cyl or a 4cyl XJ, I'd be looking for a good fuel injected Chev 4.3 to swap in. If I was going to upgrade my axles, I'd swap a Chev V8 in.

Better power, cheaper performance mods, cheaper parts, etc. Lots of good reasons to go this route. Engine swaps aren't cheap though. Price out the parts then double the cost. You'll be fairly close then.

If I had a 4.0 HO XJ, I wouldn't consider an engine swap. These motors work well and have enough power for what I do.

------------------
Jon B.
'82 CJ7 Some mods (Hers)
'82 CJ7 More mods (His)
'02 Chev 3500 LT D/A

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah i know mines a 1990 non HO. It would be nice for sure.

------------------
"WHAT!"
--Stone Cold

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Originally posted by jeeponrock:

If I had a 4.0 HO XJ, I wouldn't consider an engine swap. These motors work well and have enough power for what I do.
Yeah Jon we both know it doesnt take a whole lot of power to wrinkle sheetmetal.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You could swap in motor 360AMC/TH400 and quadratrac, and axles out of a grand wagoneer!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go with a 4.0 ho and if that aint enough power you can bore it out to a 4.6 and then that all the power your gonna want with out doing a little frame build up.

92 xj 6inch 33 goodyear mtr "best tire ever"

·
Registered
10 Posts
i was researching the 350 cherokee swap, and along the way found an xj for sale with a 350, a day later Also talked to a guy who helped that swap, nikon_jeeper was quite correct, the unibody was twisted to hell from the torque. not to mention you dont need the hp for real wheeling, its your gearing (unless your one of those 'rust my truck nothing from mud runs' kinda guys.

aparently dodge durango's v8 has the same bolt up pattern, try looking into that.

the whole unibody thing is a real B****, making frame rails would be simple enough, but whos got the time. :cwm10:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i was researching the 350 cherokee swap, and along the way found an xj for sale with a 350, a day later Also talked to a guy who helped that swap, nikon_jeeper was quite correct, the unibody was twisted to hell from the torque.
A exo cage or an internal cage with the unibody stiffners takes care of the twisting problem. Adding big tires and wheeling an XJ hard will twist the body just as fast.

not to mention you dont need the hp for real wheeling, its your gearing (unless your one of those 'rust my truck nothing from mud runs' kinda guys.
LOL. I'd like to see what you consider real wheeling. You can get by with gearing but being able to spin the tire sure comes in handy (and I'm not talking about mud runs either).

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'd like to go for a rip in the LT1 powered XJ.
If I had a XJ, I'd probably drop a V-8 into it too. You can't beat a V-8 for off idle torque. And I6's don't rev to 6500 RPM.
You wouldn't understand the difference power makes for wheeling until you drove a vehicle with more than enough.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
wow now this is an old thread. how did it get dug out of the basement?

engine alone doesnt twist the frame, you gotta be getting traction and putting power to the ground before the body will start twisting.

Wheelspin won't tweak an xj, I would know :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
i`m with the idea of going AMC V8, if there is no HO, but i am partial to them myself (currently running a "tweaked" AMC 401 in my CJ5, mated to a T18A 4 speed, then a D20 T-case.) Lots of power for the sticky stuff, and for when a little more ooomf is called for when crawling.

is 342hp, and 436lbs of torque classify as "more than enough"? :******* muhaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts