BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mostly just interested in info on the motor. 460 is the common swap, but I've heard good and bad about the motor's design. the 429 I've heard nothing but good about, even from Chevy guys. The 460 apparently is a top oiler, meaning the camshaft gets oil from the pump before the bottom end, whereas the 429 is the normal, other way around, which to me makes a lot more sense. If I'm wrong, correct me-this is just info from different mechanics I know.
On the other hand, most Ford guys I know love the 460 as far as big blocks go. Of course, the 429 gets even better reviews, but isn't much bigger than my 400M, so unless it was a lot better designed, more reliable, more powerful, I wouldn't bother.
Any input from the wise and knowledgeable among you is appreciated.

G

·
I've done 6 or 7 of these into '78- '79 F-250's & here's what I've found. Go with the 460, it has more bottom end torque. Use the 429 timing set as you can advance the timing at the cam (it has 3 holes in it )The 429 is a high rev engine. For trans. options, we did one with a 429 & a ZF 5 spd. The 400M is ok if you put a 4bbl intake, headers, dual ehaust.
If you are useing a 4 spd with the pre-'79 460, you can use a flywheel from a 390, BUT you will notice that when the starter engages it will be loud. This is because the ring gear tooth count is 2 or 3 teeth different from the auto ring gear, & the distance from the bellhouseing surface to the gear is a bit out. Nothing bad will happen, just loud. You can use a fly wheel from a 429, we never tryed it as we couldn't find one.
To put in, bolt the stock , flat car motor mount to your tower, take a 3/16" or 1/4 " plate about 10" long & bolt it to the block with the long piece pointing back. Bolt engine to bell housing & lower the engine to level. Mark the eng. mount holes to the plate (one hole should line up) (you may have to trim a corner off the mount to clear the tower) For the P/S & Alt. we just made the adjustment slots on the brackets longer to slide the components in more & use shorter belts. You may have problems with the oil pan hitting the front diff. We never did.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info man. Does my stock 4spd bellhousing bolt right to the 460?

G

·
If it's a 400M then yep. Also a note to add if you're useing an Auto trans, Ford uses 3 different length trans oil pump drive shafts. It's the short one in the middle of the trans shaft that you can just pull out. If you use one that is too long, engine won't turn over!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you wanted to swap in the 460 then you could just buy the L&L swap kit. I think it comes with motor mounts etc. It is not cheap but they make kick a$$ products for the 460. Even better you should make that 460 into a 514 for some real power. Just my 2 cents.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts