BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at painting my truck cheaply in the summer and i was watching Trucks on TNN and they were showing a paint called por-15 which paints right over rust and works really good i'm looking at painting the inside of my truck with it because I think it would look stupid being black on the outside and red on the inside.
The floor on of the truck is starting to rust a bit and there's no carpet so i'm thinking of using this paint. I'm just wondering if its the type you have to order or can you get from say lordco or somewhere else. I dont care if its ugly and I know its pretty expensive paint but i think it would do the job pretty good and maybe save me in a V.I.

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I bought a HIPPO liner kit from CDN Tire and it covered the entire floor of my 78 bronco front to back for $40 and an hours labour...I plan on doing a second coat to get a thicker build up, but the stuff is hard as nails!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by desteurm:
I bought a HIPPO liner kit from CDN Tire and it covered the entire floor of my 78 bronco front to back for $40 and an hours labour...I plan on doing a second coat to get a thicker build up, but the stuff is hard as nails!

Is it a roll on, spray on, or what??? does it cover rust with no worries at all?

------------------
81 rust bucket Bronco 33" muds just for havin fun

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have yet to see any rust popping up thru it, but the only way of avoiding rust is to live in an oxygen free environment...lol...

it is roll on and does the job fine for $40...

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD

·
Registered
397 Posts
POR15 is pretty good stuff, by all accounts. It's VERY expensive though (for paint), and you need to topcoat it with something else if you don't want it to discolour in the sunshine. I don't think I've seen it for sale in the Vancouver ares, though you can probably find some if you look hard enough. It's more common in the US.

Think Hammerite on steroids.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
3 Posts
The stuff is great (IMHO) and I have used it for years with excellent results but you have to get the paint and undercoat off for it to bond permanently. I can attest to years of protection even here in salt-hadden Ontario/Quebec.

You can get it shipped via Canada Post from the Cdn distributor - check it out.
http://www.por15canada.com/

·
Registered
708 Posts
POR 15 will paint over rust but it will fade quickly, i used it on my 72 chevelle that i sold recently to get in to 4x4. POR 15 is great stuff and it will stop rust. it sometimes flakes too.

·
Unregistered Abuser
557 Posts
POR15 can be purchased locally at MOPAC in Vancouver and Surrey.

------------------
Ulysse
69-Bronco

·
Registered
453 Posts
they sell it locally in kamloops at lordco 180 bux a gallon???? what the hell??

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used POR 15 a few years ago on my rear bumper/tire carrier. Big mistake. I even had the guy from the paint shop check out the steel before to see what kind of prep work I needed to do. He said that it needs to have rust present to adhere to but there can be no moisture present. He sold be some stuff (I can't remember the name) to remove the moisture and the POR 15. One year later it was coming off in huge flakes. The guy at the paint shop said he didn't know why.
However the local company that I had sandblast the crap off said that the Vernon Water District uses POR 15 to paint the inside of all their valves to stop them from rusting out.
I'm thinking that can't be good.

So make up your own mind, I think the stuff is crap.

P.S. I drink bottled water.

------------------
Don't judge a Rock Monkey by the number of Posts. Talk is Cheap so are Posts.
Jeepin Offroad

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a chemical sold by the same people as POR15 that you need to use before applying the paint, it Zinc Etches the metal and readies it for paint. From what I have seen it works well, and am planning on using some on my rocker panels this weekend.

Cheers!

------------------
1989 SUBURBAN 4x4 5.7L 4" Lift - BFG's
1988 Toyota 4Runner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts