BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't go but I'd be really interested in seeing some more pictures of the place.

------------------
86 toyota, 6", 35s, and a garage full of parts. (my beast)
Mods? Well I hold my CV boots together with zap-straps.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Is that vehicle spinning its wheels in reverse while the guy standing behind the truck tries to reel in the winch???
Wouldn't make much sense but that was the first thing that came to my little mind...

Or is it just trying to keep him upright on some offcamber thing that just isn't apparent to me in the picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great pics Robin!

Looks like alot of fun down there. Tell me that hill is optional

It looks nasty! Get your twig and berrys a-tingling I bet.

------------------
99' Blk TJ, 33's, 5" of lift, etc..

·
Registered
109 Posts
oh boy i want to go play there!!!!!!!! anyone in for going there during the week mon-thus? let me know im a itching! not all of us work weekends.

------------------
WORK WEEKENDS, ALL WEEK TO WHEEL WITH LESS CROWDS

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
You definitely want to go at least once. Do right by us Canadians and stay on the trails, dismantle what you build (if anything) and don't use by-passes......ohh, and be friendly to the American folks - we want them to keep this OHV park open for our enjoyment for a long time yet.

You'll like it. I've deleted some pictures from my site to stay under my 1,000 picture limit, but there are still a couple of Walker Valley pictures to be had:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=65857

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

[This message has been edited by DMMcG (edited October 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by CRUIZER:
oh boy i want to go play there!!!!!!!! anyone in for going there during the week mon-thus? let me know im a itching! not all of us work weekends.

I'd be down to go. I don't work on Mondays or Tuesdays. Usually either day would work. e-mail me or post if interested.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
223 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Just got laid-off, I`l go. Just say when.

------------------
~ YOUR TYPICAL MODIFIED 4-RUNNER ~
~ STOCK SAMURAI NEEDING MODIFICATION ~

·
Registered
223 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Just got laid-off, I`l go. Just say when.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Here's some:

Neck from SNORT on the Express Way rock face:

Armin trying to get up Boulder Alley:

Me coming out of the Poop Chute:

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited October 31, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by Greg W:
Wouldn't make much sense but that was the first thing that came to my little mind...
Or is it just trying to keep him upright on some offcamber thing that just isn't apparent to me in the picture.
The mud was super-slimy and he was slid sideways down the bank into a tree. We were using the come-along to winch his backend away from the tree. He was in 2-wheel drive, spinning his tires to try to help the back end slide over.

But thanks for the concern...

Robin.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by schmiot:
I've got a few pics up here but you have to click each of the non-existant thumbnail pics to see the actual fullsize pictures...
http://www.geocities.com/baja/outback/3574/walker.html

Robin.

I can't view the pics... It just keeps saying that the site will be available within an hour. It has said that since yesterday.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:

I can't view the pics... It just keeps saying that the site will be available within an hour. It has said that since yesterday.

It's because Geocities sucks. I got an email from them saying that I've exceeded the allowable bandwidth for the month so they shut down my site for a few hours. Try back again later or tommorrow.

Good luck,
Robin.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From all the pics that I've seen from Walker I can say that I'm a little intimidated by the thought of going there. I drove around once in my girl's 4runner but I didn't do anything. I know that my Jeep can't do most of what I've seen.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
583 Posts

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited October 31, 2001).]

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
From all the pics that I've seen from Walker I can say that I'm a little intimidated by the thought of going there. I drove around once in my girl's 4runner but I didn't do anything. I know that my Jeep can't do most of what I've seen.

You should have tow points front and rear. A winch for every 3 or 4 vehicles (capable of winching others) with appropriate snatch blocks, cable, and other recovery equipment is a good idea.

I've managed to do (and really enjoy) Jeep Trail, Poop Chute, the Fin, Pat's Trail, Second Chance, part of Bigfoot...until the mud got too deep...as well as Jeep Cross and Lower Jeep Cross (with some deep water/mud). My '98 XJ has a 2" suspension lift and 30" BFG MT's.

I've found that there is much more risk of damage in the shoulder seasons with slick mud/snow and the very tight trails that comprise most of Walker Valley.

I haven't tried Expressway - only watched others thrash their trucks on it - or luckily get through unscathed. If you haven't got at least 32" tires, good articulation and some kind of traction device then you'll be winching up Expressway - I've watched some very built trucks winching up in any event on wet rock days. On longer wheelbase vehicles, rocker protection is mandatory - unless you don't care about your rocker panels or you've got lots of clearance. TJ's with OEM side steps will likely lose them somewhere on the trails.....the 6" lifted TJ on 35's in front of me still lost his passenger side step on the ENTRANCE to the park (the legitimate front gate by-pass that's supposed to help people decide if they really want to try to conquer the trails in the park).

Driver error is often the cause of damage, but plain old "luck" plays a large role at Walker Valley. Going with a small group who aren't too testosterone challenged/enhanced (depending on your point of view) and willing to take their time helps avoid damage.

It's a great OHV park. One that shouldn't be missed if you enjoy the challenge of our northwest trails and can afford the risk.

If you're concerned to the point that you won't enjoy the day, wait 'til summer and some dry weather. The difficulty changes quite dramatically when you have a little more traction.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
382 Posts
OMFG I want to go there really bad. That looks like some of the best wheelin I have ever seen. In the next few weeks I am doing my f&r axle swap and putting on a warn 9000i so if anyone wants to plan a trip late nov early dec let me know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is no one is planning on going? If so please let me know, if not how about some dirrections?

------------------

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by dug:
Is no one is planning on going? If so please let me know, if not how about some dirrections?

There's tons of info on the web about this highly used OHV park, including directions. Read up on the land-use issues before you go so that you understand why it's important to stay on sanctioned trails and unspool that winch rather than use illegal by-passes. Don't mean to be preachy, but I really would hate to see the park closed to 4x4's because of improper use by folks who don't do a bit of reading before hand:

Land Use Issues:
http://www.pnw4wda.org/walker.htm
http://www.bc4x4.com/landuse/default.cfm?ID=26

Maps/Directions:
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/orvguide/orv2.html
http://www.nmaoffroad.org/orvguide/mapnw2.htm

Trail Map:
http://www.nagca.com/WA%20Walker%20Valley.htm

Classic trucks enjoying the trail:
http://www.2bigbroncos.org/past/northwest/feb19_00/

Others users (be careful and watch for them):
http://www.mtbreview.com/trails/Washington/WalkerValley.html