BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for tires and thought that I was decided on the BFG muds but then I was told about the Goodyear MRT's. I went in to Fountain Tire to get some more info and he said they were really really quiet and would last over three times longer than the BFG's? Blowin' smoke or what? Anyone? I was hoping I could get some user feedback on these tires - are they worth the extra $300? Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
Outkast and Jonathan Yim should be able to shed some light on the subject. They're both running MT/Rs.

BTW, I hope I did an okay job on coiling up the triax last night, you bastards making me work for my money.

------------------
90 XJ traded it for
91 YJ stolen, replaced with
92 YJ
95 ZJ LTD

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I don't think they will last three times longer, that means they would go for 120,000 miles...most car tires aren't even guaranteed for that...ask them put the mileage in writing then see what they say! They are blowin smoke...they are supposed to be really nice tires but very pricey as you will find out! If the tire compound is to hard then wet weather/ice traction will suffer, but you will get great mileage...ask for it in writing then see them scamper back to their desks!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I can't comment on the durability 'cuz I don't know BUT I will say that they worked marvelously well on the Rubicon this summer.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 35x12.50x15 MT/R's. I think they are a great tire. I have had them on my truck for 6 months they still look brand new. I find them good in mud, and on the rocks. I would say buy the MT/R.

------------------
1989 toyota,35" MT/R, solid axle,Bobbed bed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Loved them had them on the Toyota and just ordered a set for the Blazer

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have a pair of 33X12.50s the old style. Love em to death. Had them for 3 years, put 35000 kms on them with a locked rear and they're at about 65%. They're mounted on 15X8s and I've run em at right down to where the tire pressure indicator isn't moving- in the snow and have yet to blow a bead. Great sidewalls strength for radials. Little loud, but muds are like that.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

[This message has been edited by Lil' blue Yoyo (edited March 06, 2002).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
How well do the 33" MT/R's balance out? I've heard good and bad about BFG's so I'm doing a little research on the GY's too...

I've seen them in action and they seem pretty good...looking for something to have on the rig all the time for street and some light trail work. Heavy trails will see internal beadlocks and bias-ply Swampers.
Thanks!

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know LOTS of ppl running MTR's. As far as off road goes, they get a 5 star rating, everyone loves them wether it be rock or mud or whatever. They are expensive . They dont last long and this is the biggest complaint and the only complaint ive heard !

------------------
ZookPower

·
Registered
453 Posts
my MT/R's balanced very good about 2oz total weight on the back rims, and 1-1.50oz on the fronts??/ on brand new rims??

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Did you hear how much Goodyear is charging for the 37s? I'll never buy one of their tires after hearing about that.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
The price for the 37's from Goodyear is for a specific reason. They only now are mass producing the 37" MTR size, up till now all the tires have been hand made and basically only for ARCA competitors, if someone really wanted them then the pricing is huge because of being hand made as opposed to mass produced. It was like trying to buy a NASCAR slick for your daily driver. Goodyear is now going into mass production for them and the price will reflect that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
MT/Rs are awesome! I've had them for 15000km and have around 75-80% tread left. The also balanced real well on my banged-up 2 years old rims.

------------------
2000 Sahara
4" suspension & 1" body lift, Belly Up, 33" MT/Rs

·
Registered
453 Posts
that was the price for the 37/12.50r15's the 16 and 17's are cheaper and the price of the 15 is supposed to come down this year, also the MT/R's are supposed to be going on sale with a $25per tire rebate in late april or may

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Wil:
The price for the 37's from Goodyear is for a specific reason. They only now are mass producing the 37" MTR size, up till now all the tires have been hand made and basically only for ARCA competitors, if someone really wanted them then the pricing is huge because of being hand made as opposed to mass produced. It was like trying to buy a NASCAR slick for your daily driver. Goodyear is now going into mass production for them and the price will reflect that.
Weeeell then in that case I think I know what my next set of tires will be.
Thanks for clearin' that up Wil.

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the reply's - when you're hearin it from a salesman you don't know what to believe - I think this guy was just a little too hungry! It is interesting to hear you say that some of the biggest complaints are that they are noisy and don't last long because these were the two things that were the most important to me and he said the opposite about them. He said they were incredibbly quiet and I could get 200,000 k's out of em! I'm takin my truck over to Europe in about 6 months and want a tire that's gonna last me. I also can't have my tires takin 5 - 10 mpg off either since the fuel there in Norway is about $1.80/ litre! I would love to run something like the BFG muds but I've had guys tell me I'd loose a lot in ride and fuel economy so it looked like this mrt might be the compromise between the A/T and the M/T Whad ya thank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and mudhucker is that rebate thing for real? That just might be enough to make me jump for them! I was quoted around $239 a corner for 31's here in Abby. Would that rebate be through Fountain T?

·
Registered
453 Posts
$239 a corner??? that's a dollar over sale price?? we usually deal on that?? you should be able to bring them down a bit like 10 bucks. Yeah the 25 a tire is a rebate through goodyear canada that is returned to the dealer as a credit, so if your bill is 900 bucks it'll be 800+taxes. I'm pretty sure it's coming up in arpil or may, i read it in our pamphlets but i can't remember exacts.

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
If the difference in weight between the BFGs and MTRs isn't that big (and I can't imagine it being big enough to affect fuel economy) wouldn't tire size be the deciding factor in fuel economy?

------------------

1 - 20 of 21 Posts