BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have been thinking about making a run into some of the old ghosttowns and abandoned mines that dot BC. What kind of interest is there for that here? It may be a bit late in the season now, but perhaps we can plan something.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by NewToyo:
Hey folks, I have been thinking about making a run into some of the old ghosttowns and abandoned mines that dot BC. What kind of interest is there for that here? It may be a bit late in the season now, but perhaps we can plan something.
What places are you thinking of going to?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of making a run to Sandon here in a couple weeks, but that has been canceled due to work issues. We could take a trip to the Braelorne and Gold Bridge area, or even to the Nickel plate in Hedley. I know you've been there alot Lars, but there must be some places you havent explored round there. My options are open to any area of the province

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by NewToyo:
I'm interested , Where abouts yah thinking ????

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am interested in Ghost Town run and it seems Halloween is a rather appropraite time for a Ghost run. Would this be a day trip or what?

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
That sounds like it could be fun. I would be very interested in going. My truck is mostly stock though.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
138 Posts
that sounds like fun! If I have my licence im in.

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
That sounds like it would be a lot of fun! My ZJ is still stock right now too. Would this be a one day trip or a couple of days??? I will most likely be in too.

Ollie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
That sounds like it could be fun.
I would be interested also

Big Gord

------------------
Red 91 XJ 2Dr.. Rubicon Express 3" Super Flex Lift and Quick Disconnects;.."Custom Aluminum Front Bumper C/W Warn X8000i, Rock Sliders, Skid Plate,Transmission Crossmember and Rear Tire/Jerry Can Holder".. By TLC Armor Accessories of Langley.. ; 31x10.50 Yokohama Geolander MTs and AR 676 Steel Wheels, Midland WeathermaxIII CB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, considering the fair majority of you folks live in or around the Vancouver area (with some exceptions), it would seem to be logical to pick an area closest to there. I have never wheeled around there at all and would be open to all sorts of posibilities. I know for a fact that the Braelorne area has some old mines and a few abandoned towns around it, so I would pick there to start. Also, I live in Mackenzie. A good 10-12 hr drive from Vancouver in the best of conditions. From what I understand, Braelorne is near Lilooete (sp?), about 6-7 hrs from here and 4 from Vancouver. For myself, it would probably be a 2-3 day event, but could be shorter for any of you that live in the area of course. Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I drive a stock 88 Toyota with 30s, no locker, no winch, or stuff like that.

[This message has been edited by NewToyo (edited September 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
That'll be a great trip, go for it! We just did an abandoned mine/ghost town trip. We went to the Greenwood area of BC (near Grand Forks); found lots of abandoned mines, saw some great scenery, and generally a had good time. Word of advice: take lots of light with you; you can spend a lot of time wandering around inside the mines. Also, it's refreshingly cold in the mines; great in the summer but you might want a jacket in the fall. I climbed a couple hundred feet down a vertical shaft, and I still couldn't see the bottom. We dropped a couple of rocks down; we could hear them banging off the steel ladders for over 20 seconds before the sound faded. Oh yeah, got some rock rash from falling down a hole too, fortunately not quite as deep, and also fortunately one of the group is a dispatcher for Surrey FD and has a good knowlege of first aid and a good kit!
Some of the log cabins had newspapers glued to the walls for insulation; most were from Spokane (WA) and were dated from the 1930's and earlier; interesting reading the news and ads of the day. Allow a lot of time; we spent six days at it, and still didn't see everything we wanted to. And 95% of the terrain is doable by a stock truck, so your Toy will do just fine. Oh yeah, some of the roads had not been travelled for a long time, and on one road we had three chainsaws going for a couple hours to remove all the deadfall, so bear that in mind!

No, I haven't written the trip report yet... working too much right now.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the heads up Greg. BTW, I am looking forward to that trip report of yours. I have an uncle in Grand Forks who has invited me down for a bit next summer to check out some of those old mines

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I should be able to do at least a couple of days as long as I have a week notice. I have never been on a trip like this and would really like to see a ‘ghost town’!

A little off topic, you know that old mining town just south of Squamish? They have been doing a lot of filming there in the last little while. I heard that there was a ghost town on the other side of the mountain that the mine is in. A friend’s friend was a assistant director on one of the shoots and he said that there was a tunnel, or mine road that goes through the mountain and opens up into the ghost town on the other side. Anyone heard of this?

Ollie

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by ollie:
Well, I should be able to do at least a couple of days as long as I have a week notice. I have never been on a trip like this and would really like to see a ‘ghost town’!

A little off topic, you know that old mining town just south of Squamish? They have been doing a lot of filming there in the last little while. I heard that there was a ghost town on the other side of the mountain that the mine is in. A friend’s friend was a assistant director on one of the shoots and he said that there was a tunnel, or mine road that goes through the mountain and opens up into the ghost town on the other side. Anyone heard of this?

Ollie
Are you talking about Britania Mine? Yes there is a ghost town town. From what I hear it was a large town for a mining colony. I don't know that there is really anything left of it though.

------------------
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited September 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
Are you talking about Britania Mine? Yes there is a ghost town town. From what I hear it was a large town for a mining colony. I don't know that there is really anything left of it though.

Ya, Britania Mines. I couldn't think of the name at the time...

Do you know how to get there? -- to the ghost town?

[This message has been edited by ollie (edited September 27, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Ya, Britania Mines. I couldn't think of the name at the time...

Do you know how to get there? -- to the ghost town?

[This message has been edited by ollie (edited September 27, 2001).]
As far as I know there is no access to it. I heard about it a few years back when I was on a tour of the mine. I remember hearing that land slides had demolished most of the town.

You should get some forestry maps of the area, and see if you can see where the town is and see if there are any roads/trails that might go to it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited September 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
We went to Britannia a couple weeks ago. The first town, Jane Camp, was wiped out by a landslide in 1915; there's nothing left of it. A second town, Mt Sheer, was built at a higher level to replace it. When the Squamish Hwy was built in 1958, everyone left Mt Sheer for the big city, and they destroyed the town, a common practice back then when towns were abandoned, possibly so people wouldn't play around in the buildings and get hurt, or so squatters wouldn't move in. If you do go to the museum, you will be able to see a map of the former townsite, as well as photos. There is also a map showing the old access roads. On the surface, it doesn't look like there's anything left, but who knows what a metal detector might find. However, there is no public access to the townsite.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg,

That’s too bad that there is no public access. Maybe there’s a way around that with some of the old service roads or even some of the newer trails. next time I head up that way, I’ll take a look.

So what’s up with the Ghost town trip? Will it be the Braelorne area with some of the old mines and a few abandoned towns? Sounds good to me! When did you guys want to do this?

Ollie

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg,

That’s too bad that there is no public access. Maybe there’s a way around that with some of the old service roads or even some of the newer trails. next time I head up that way, I’ll take a look.

So what’s up with the Ghost town trip? Will it be the Braelorne area with some of the old mines and a few abandoned towns? Sounds good to me! When did you guys want to do this?

Ollie
That sounds like it would be a good trip.

------------------

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.