BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some clutch work done to my '94 YJ and I live in Whistler. Does anyone know a good mechanic or garage in Whistler, Squamish or Pemberton?

I think my throw out bearing is shot. Is this something I could easily replace myself?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it really is the throwout bearing, you'd need to drop the tranny to replace it. At that point, you might as well do the clutch and pilot bearing at the same time...

Chris (sorry, don't know any mechanics out that way)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya sorry, I meant pilot bearing. I assume that is the rattling noise I hear coming from the powertrain when the vehicle is coasting while in gear, not under power. It's also hard to shift into first and second from a standing start.

So it's possible for a rookie like myself to fix it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Panthino said:
So it's possible for a rookie like myself to fix it?
If it is, you have my help. We need more Jeep wrenchathons up here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
This is a copy & paste from an email I sent to somebody regarding swapping trannies (same things are involved)

Well, i've done a million tranny drops for one reason on another, so here's
roughly what's involved.
Disconnect driveshafts, drop skidplate, drop tranny & t-case. You can drop
those seperately, but I found it easier doing them both at the same time.
The transmission is mounted to the engine with 5 or 7 bolts, i can't
remember exactly. The ones at the top are kinda hard to reach, but if you
lower the transmission a bit first it's not that bad. It should be doable
in a day. I do this now in a 2-3 hours. The hardest part in my opinion is
putting the tranny back in, cuz you gotta align it just right which is kinda
hard with 200lb when you're lying on your back.
A trick i use is to hook up a comealong to my rollbar, and lower/raise the
transmission that way. You don't really need any special tools, just your
standard wrenches/sockets. You really don't need any special mechanical
knowledge to do this. I think a shop would charge you a couple hundred
bucks if not more to do this, and it's really not that complicated. It is a
pain in the neck, but fully doable in the driveway. It helps to have an
extra set of hands around when you do this. It's basically unbolting and then bolting a whole bunch of stuff back together. Nothing to it really :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
it is a fairly easy job, just a few key things.
make your life easy
#1 rent a tranny jack or engine hoist
#2 rent an air compressor and air tools (air ratchet and impact gun)
#3 have at least 1 - 2 buddies help you it makes life so much easier when it comes time to re install.
#4 make sure you pick up a female torx bit (i forget what size it is but you need it for 2 bolts on the top)
#5 i forgot what year you said yours was but if you have an internal slave cylinder replace it at the same time.
#6 if you can. buck up and buy the centerforce clutch (i wish i did)
#7 DRINK LOTS OF BEER AS IT WILL TAKE A FEW HOURS YOUR FIRST TIME.

if i forgot anything im sure someone else will a their 2 bits.

·
Registered
382 Posts
damn greg i took to long to type you beat me to it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
lars said:
E-12 inverse torx bit!

...lars

Ohhh wait I speak YJ :D

Translation - You will need this torx bit in order to unbolt the bell housing from the motor. I bought a cheap set of inverse torx bits from Princess Auto for under $10. That's a bit of a drive through so I'd try Lordco, they might have them too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
From what you described above, I would suggest the noise to be coming from the throw out bearing but cause it is rolling while coasting in gear, clutch pedal released. the pilot bushing would be stationary (relatively) as the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft would be spinning at the same speed.

Tip: drain your t-case and transmision before you start. This will lesson the overall weight a bit and you won't spill as much out the rear when you pull the rear driveshaft(unless you have a SYE).

have fun...

·
Registered
327 Posts
jeeponrock said:

Ohhh wait I speak YJ :D

Translation - You will need this torx bit in order to unbolt the bell housing from the motor. I bought a cheap set of inverse torx bits from Princess Auto for under $10. That's a bit of a drive through so I'd try Lordco, they might have them too.

I may be lost here, I have pulled my tranny many times and there is no inverse torx. I have done a 95 as well with no inverse torx. The only place I neede a torx was the starter bolts. The other bolts were all 18mm. However the 2 jeeps I did were 2.5ltr.. Maybe the 4.0 ltr is different.

Jason

·
Registered
397 Posts
4.0l (or 258) with AX15 is different. The two Torx bolts are the ones at the very top of the bellhousing, and it's easiest to get at them through the shifter opening.

In addition to this driver, you'll need a puller for the pilot bearing. Princess Auto also sells these. They're an "inside" puller, with arms that grip the inside surface of the bearing. A slide hammer with the right "toothed" pulling bit will also work.

Chris

·
Registered
382 Posts
cwate said:
4.0l (or 258) with AX15 is different. The two Torx bolts are the ones at the very top of the bellhousing, and it's easiest to get at them through the shifter opening.

In addition to this driver, you'll need a puller for the pilot bearing. Princess Auto also sells these. They're an "inside" puller, with arms that grip the inside surface of the bearing. A slide hammer with the right "toothed" pulling bit will also work.

or you can use an allan key and work it around. :D
thats what i did and it only took about 3 min.
but mine was loose if it is really in there use the puller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts