BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about how much a box would cost me for a 81 just curious preferably little to no rust
thanx
Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
There's actually a website advertisement that pops up in this site evety so often for toy boxes from the states, but i'd just build a flatdeck, it's much cheaper and looks better, look at Jordan's pic

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Go down to Alpi's in Surrey, they actually have an '81 longbox that is strangely rust free. I think he wants $400-500 for it, but like I said it's in very good shape.

·
1,269 Posts
The ad that pops up is for fiberglass boxes, a great idea if you plan on owning your truck for a long time and never want to worry about rust again.

As for US boxes, I paid $1500 for a box from Arizona, in negligible condition to boot. If you're going to go that route, like Jordan mentioned, driving down and picking one yourself is a way better idea than having one brought up.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Build a stout flat deck for it, stronger, cheaper, undentable, and wont rust like your truck box. That is if the frame can handle the weight!

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:

As for US boxes, I paid $1500 for a box from Arizona, in negligible condition to boot. If you're going to go that route, like Jordan mentioned, driving down and picking one yourself is a way better idea than having one brought up.

How did your US box hold up? I have heard of someone else that did that, paid good money and within a year or two it started showing the same symptoms of rusting in the seams and spreading like a cancer.

Damn temperate rainforest and fresh sea air!

JCD

·
1,269 Posts
Aside from dents and scratches the only place it has any rust is where I knocked a big chunk of bondo off and didn't bother fixing it.
The difference in look (no ugly side rails) is fantastic.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by wannabetoydriver:
about how much a box would cost me for a 81 just curious preferably little to no rust
thanx
Marc
If you do find a good box take the time to scrape the old caulk out of all the seams, top and bottom, and re-do it with a high quality automotive caulk. Also re-do the crappy under-coating in the wheelwells.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts