BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered 5012's from cdn tire a few days ago b/c the were far cheaper than anywhere else. Lordco wanted either $90 or $100, alders wanted either $80 or $90, cambodian is gettin me them for $56. But anyways, I got the back end all done today! Ended up with more lift than expected. 3" lift block, 1" add a leaf, chevy's (3"), and the buggies ended up giving me another 3", for 10" of lift. But it'll sag a bit more with the box on and gas tank and what not, b/c it is really soft. I can bounce the back end around with no effort from my arm. The problem is with all the lift and with the amount of flex I will get, I don't think 5012's will be long enough. We haven't actually flexed it out yet, but just by calculating it, they're too short. They have 18" of travel right? And now with the amount of lift, the front end is too small at 6" so something has to be changed.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
If you aren't running the shocks straight up and down but on an angle you get a lot more travel out of them. 1" of suspension travel won't equal 1" of shock travel if they are angled.

·
Registered
504 Posts
5013's i seen them in 5000 and 9000's at moab this summer....got a free shirt too:*******

·
Registered
363 Posts
the travel of a 5012 or 9012 is 14.1",and 33.2" fully extended.

when you have this much lift, you are not likely to able to use the stock mounts. what you want to check is the travel required, not the height, and remount them accordingly. flex it out without the shocks and calculate the difference from fully drooped to compressed. if the travel exceeds 14", the best solution is to inbord mount them as will suggested. when you do a ubolt flip, you loose the bottom mount and end having to fabricate your own, usually higher up. id recomend this anyway, as it also softens their effective resistance, as they are too stiff for the rear of a toy. their correct application is in the rear of 1/2 & 3/4 ton superdutys and certain chevys with a 4" lift.
i too run chevy springs with buggies, and with them mouted inboard, i use only about 9-10" of their travel.

·
Registered
400 Posts
like everyone else said mount them inboard... I will be moving mine inboard as soon as i get a welder so i can fab up the new mounts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, looks like i'll be moving shock mounts around, i didn't want to have to (part of the reason i didn't do a u-bolt flip), but oh well. i'll likely be pulling the lift block out, then i'll do the u-bolt flip since i'll have to get new u-bolts again as these ones will be too long (not enough thread down the shank), unless somebody has 6" lift spring for the front? I kinda want to keep the big lift...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts