BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Depends on what you want. The best MUD terrain is the Bogger, then proably the Swamper. Then it is a toss up between warranty, tread life, agressiveness,street manners. initial cost and cosmetic preference.

The KM's are a good tire, but you will get a million people replying and telling you they are ok, they are not worth it, or they are a god send.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited February 22, 2002).]

·
Registered
282 Posts
What do you want? The BFG will probably last you 60k while the swamper (especially bogger) will last 20 or 30k on the pavement. The swamper will really perform offroad but how extreme are you? I have ATs they work good as long as I stay out of the thick stuff...and have 60+k on them....

------------------
97 ram 1500 swb.3" w/35"at. 4.56 w/rear detroit

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I think bang for the buck a lot of people would agree that the BFG is a nice tire.

That's what I'll be buying. It turns out I'm not rich, so Swamper SSR's aren't an option.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
1,269 Posts
I run Mud Kings because they're dirt cheap and the sidewalls (while only 2 ply) flex really nice when aired down. I have yet to puncture one or blow a bead (not that it can't be done).

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i now the specs and the offroad performance of the boggers and the swampers but between the run of the mill mud terrians ie. bridgestone, gdy, fst, baja, those sort of tires. the tire will be getting used year round on all sorts of roads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bfg's are a great tire, but so are General Grabber MT's (not anything else they make) and my personal favorite of all is the Big O Bigfoot MT. It's performance ranks with the rest and it's warranty simply cannot be matched.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have 35inch mud terrain bfg and they are very good .. awsome wear on the road to definatly the best tire for the price

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have tsl swampers, and i love them but i really like the goodyear mt/r's. i have 3 friends that run them and they kick some mean ass in everything. on the rocks they have insane amounts of sidewall flex and there sidewalls are almost bomb proof. i personally think they're the best radial mud tire on the market right now. and you can get them in 37x12.5r15. they do cost more than a bfg though.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
32 Posts
I baught my tires two months ago (285/75 r16)
And love them, i don't do any aggresive 4x4ing but i can say that they are great on the road They are quiet and hardly float around on the highway. I payed $820 after gst for 4 so i thought that was decient. One thought is to go for the kumo mudders, not sure on the price or wear but they look fairly aggressive...
I use mine along pipeline right aways and they have not let me down yet, i find i am pulling other people out quite often but that because they use slicks =)
All in all they are a good tire. I would give them two thumbs up... Just so you know they are about $700+/4 wholesale so a grand isn't bad, see if he will give you a better deal

------------------
89' F250 XLT Lariat, 7.3 Diesel, D50TTb, D60, 285/75-16 MT KM's, 12,000 Warn winch.

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by creeper:
and you can get them in 37x12.5r15. they do cost more than a bfg though.
Uh, have you ever checked the price on those? I've heard conflicting reports between not being able to get them at all and being able to get them but the price being absolutly freaking ridiculous.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you can get the BFG's cheaper than get the bfg's! The 300 is not worth it. Even if the off-road performance was equal (they are either equal or the BFG may be slightly better in my opinion) between the two, the new KM still looks way better and you get one of the most trusted name brands in off-road tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The goodyear's are definitely the best mud terrain w/o being bias-ply or a fortune to buy. Call the guys at Fountain Tire in Kelowna, they'll give you the best price. My 33X12.50s we're 200/tire two years ago when I bought em. My buddy put the new style of his heep last winter and the were 235/tire. They're awesome off-road and have pretty good wear (for a mud) characteristics

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use AT KOs and they are AWESOME for offroad, and amazing for road travel. However I can see that they do wear much faster than a seasonal on the pavement.

If you've got the cash, grab a set of Boggers and change up your road tires when you want to hit the trail. That's an ideal situation.

I want some used boggers for the trail that I can swap. But thats when I get the cash of course

That way I have the ats which own for the road, and boggers which own the trail.
And if I get lazy one day I can just use the ats on the trail too!!

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the guys at fountian quoted me 1450 for a set. i think i'm going to go with the bfg's they are the top 3 in mud terrians and a good bang for the buck!!
thanxs guys

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
In my opinion the best all around tire out there, hands down, is the Swamper SSR!!!
It kicks a$$ in mud, on gravel, on rocks, on snow, on ice, even on the road. It's siped.
It just rocks everywhere.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough! I have...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.